We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

Cincinnati
7 posts
Save Topic
Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

Just looking for lodging ideas and I'm not sure which side to stay on? First time to Kauai, 20th anniversary and will be traveling with 3 teenage boys. Thanks.

Prescott Valley...
Level Contributor
270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

What time of year are you traveling? Winters on Kauai's north shore are likely to be very wet. Of course it's a tropical island so brief light showers can happen year round, but as you've seen in the recent news winters are the "wet season." Many stay south in winter (the sunny, drier side) and north (greener, tropical side) in summer or early fall. Then there are those , like me, who like to stay on the east shore... like at the Kauai Coast Resort condos in Kapa'a. It's beachfront with a few 2Bdrm/2Bath units (reserve early). It's along the coconut coast between the ocean and The Coconut Marketplace, a nice outdoor mall along the main road just north of the Wailua river. It's centrally located a short 45 min. drive to the north shore (Princeville/Hanalei Bay) sights and beaches and about 30 mins. south to the Poipu area. Happy Anniversary & Enjoy paradise... ALOHA!

P.S. If you're going to stay on the south shore, look into 2 bdrm condos at Kuhio Shores near Poipu/Kaloa... great ocean views and nice beach (Lawai; great snorkeling) next door. The Beach House Resturant at Lawai beach is an excellent spot for that special (Happy 20th!) sunset dinner, too!

Cincinnati
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

Thanks for the reply Brown, we'll be there in early June.

SoCAL
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

Hmmm, that's a tough one with 3 teens. What types of activities do they like? And have you checked out the activities that are there? Waimea Canyon Hiking/helicopter tour, kayaking, beaches (snorkeling)...i think if you decide what you want to do the most, then that should help you with WHERE to stay. Do you want to be walking distance to a town w/shops or other kids hanging out so the boys can get away?

I like staying on the east side, for the same reasons as mentioned, but then you'll be driving to the nicer beaches...some of the east coast resorts really aren't on great beaches for swimming/sunbathing (might be a bit rocky).

So, were you planning on driving? Or laying your selfs out at the resort that has the most sublime pool/beach combination? Thinking of the teens...but wait...it's YOUR anniversary, not theirs! ;-)

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

If the boys are into surfing, I'd say find the best spot for surfing at the time of year and park yourselves. If they're anything like my son, they'll surf until they're hungry, come in and eat, then get out there to surf some more. You get to do whatever you like during the day while they're out on the water. Of course, you'll still plan the sightseeing stuff -- if you can drag them away, that is.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

Congrats on your 20th - that is wonderful! If it were me, I would stay on the North shore, as it's glorious and the waters are perfect for snorkeling and such. But I am not sure about the boys - as mentioned, it depends on their activities as well. I would say leave them home for your 20th . . . but I know kids like to vacation as well, so hopefully you can do things that will keep you all happy. Best of luck! :)

California
Level Contributor
26 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

Hi, cak, we were in Kauai during Spring Break with two teenage girls (15 and 16). We live in Lake Tahoe, so these girls are fairly active and athletic and like to do things in the great-outdoors so here's my suggestions for you:

Hike the Awawpuhi trail; take surf lessons at the beach near the Sheraton at Poipu (tents set up with instructors at your fingertips) and then when you learn to surf, you can return and get a surfboard for a full day at a great price; take the 5-hour snorkeling catamaran cruise with Holo Holo Charters (you'll see spinner dolphins, sea life, Napali Coast, AND there's a trampoline on the front where all the teenagers like to "ride"). snorkel at Ke'e Beach. And the rest of the time try to relax! Good luck.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

First of all, congradulations on your 20th wedding anniversary! Hubby & I stayed on the North side and absolutely loved it. The scenery was breathtaking; the "rain" was only sunshowers that lasted for a few minutes at a time. It was so different from Florida, much more like paradise.

Your whole family will love one of the snorkeling charters like Holoholo or Captain Andy's. The boys can take surfing lessons in Hanalei and after they "get it" they can just rent the boards. We found the best entertainment was free...just walking the beautiful beaches and listening to the waves.

Enjoy your trip!

folsom
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

for the boys, probably the south. west would be my last choice. i stayed east and loved it, but drove thru the tree tunnel every other day to go south.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best side of Kauai, East West South or North?

Siing that its YOUR anniversary, I'd do the romantic North side of Kauai. There are plenty of beach activities in Hanalei for the boys. The south is nice, but not a lot different than Florida. The beautiful, tropical, lush, scenic side is on the North Shore. If it does rain, you can drive south. It's a small island.