We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

We went to Poipu Beach today for the first time since before Christmas when all the crowds came. It appears about 50 to 100 feet of the beach has been washed out into the ocean. The tombolo is now at least 3 feet under the water. All of the beach sand was been washed out into the area to the right of the tombolo where the good snorkeling existed. You have to go almost out to the rocks where the waves break to get away from the sand. Is this the new permanent Poipu Beach? That is very negative if true.

California
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60625-i1817-k6043…

Here's a thread about this from today.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

The other post today, combined with your post now, tells me that this is a very recent thing. I just left Kauai two weeks ago and did not see this. Have there some bad storms in the past week or two?

Edited: 16 January 2013, 00:03
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

Napa,

Read #8 of the post above (about Kiahuna Beach). It sounds like it was high winds and high tides in the last week or so.

Marti

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

We have had heavy winds along with rainy conditions for a couple of weeks at least - until just a few days ago actually here in the Poʻipū area.

I am not surprised by the response of the representative from Kiahuna here on TA. This happens periodically - for instance the complete erosion of Kekaha Beach that has been occurring over the last couple of years.

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

Winter. It's typical for beaches here to get steep and less usable in winter and then the sand comes back in summer. There was no tombolo for years. It's only come back recently.

A hotter world is going to have more severe swings in many ways.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 00:37
Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

There was a huge swell over the weekend, and combined with the high tides (new moon), it caused the drastic change to the beaches. Over on the east side, you could hear the crashing waves from a mile inland. On Sunday, we went to Nukoli'i Beach (near the Radisson/Hilton/Aqua) and saw evidence of waves cutting into the topsoil inland of the beach. But this is not "erosion" it is the seasonal change in beaches. Over time it may be more severe (as it's predicted to be with global warming), but right now it's just a dramatic but normal phenomenon. The gentler swells in the summer bring sand back (it lays on the ocean floor further offshore for a while).

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

Golly I love Kauaihiker.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

+1 Jebett!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

Brennecke is also hugely changed from a couple weeks ago. Huge rocks on more than half the beach. According to locals this occurred a few weeks ago. :(

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What has happen to Poipu Beach?!

We saw a decrease in sand/exposure of more rock at Lawai in the short time we were on Kauai (12/27-1/6). Toward the end of our stay there was significantly less sand toward the water's edge than when we arrived. The tombolo at Poipu was still very prominent.

The natural "life" of beaches is so interesting to me. You come to the the same spot on the map year after year, but it isn't always the same place you've visited previously, even here on the Great Lakes.