We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

We will be celebrating my DH’s 40th B-day on Feb 23 in Kauai. We will be staying in Poipu.

I am trying to decide whether to have his B-day dinner at The Beach House or just go to The Beach House for drinks and pupus at the bar to enjoy the sunset and then have dinner elsewhere.

I called the Beach House to make 6pm dinner reservations. They offered and strongly encouraged 5:30pm reservations. Does that seems a bit early for a 6:39pm sunset?

If we choose to have dinner elsewhere, where would you recommend? Plantation Gardens? A view would not be mandatory since it will be after sunset. We consider ourselves foodies.

Thanks for your help!

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

I love the Beach House, and agree with their suggestion that you go with the 5:30 reservation. My reasoning is that everyone else who has their 5:30 reservation is going to sit at their table at least through sunset so you'd run the risk of being further back in the restaurant (not that that's a bad thing...).

If your budget makes a Beach House dinner a stretch, the bar is a fine alternative. I've done this a number of times. Just get there early so you can snag the bar rail facing sunset rather than the main bar. This'll give you the best sunset views.

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

Shankapotamus gave you excellent advice!!! We always take the earliest reservation and always enjoy the sunset.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

Thanks for your input! I guess it will come down to whether DH likes the look of the dinner menu at Beach House better than somewhere else.

We are only 30 days away from departure! The official countdown has begun.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

Its a very special place to celebrate any event.

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

Make your reservation now for the Beach House and ask for table 11.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

We had an anniversary dinner at the Tidepools restaurant at the Grand Hyatt and really enjoyed it. We came early to listen to music, have a happy hour cocktail and hang out on the beach on a swing, then went to the restaurant for dinner. It was an outstanding evening. You're not right on the ocean like at The Beach House, but it is a breautiful, romantic setting built around koi ponds. The food was top notch.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,048 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

Tell the Beach House that it's a special occasion and ask for a seat by the windows.

Another option, though without much ambiance, is Roy's. Again, tell them it's a special occasion.

I also like Plantation Gardens and, if you're willing to drive to Kapa`a, Hukilau Lanai.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,774 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

I'm not a huge fan of The Beach House these last several years. It seems too much like a zoo and very rushed (at least that was our experience the last 3-4 times). But if make a reservation for their 1st seating, show up early and tell them it's a special occasion (ie, please don't rush us), you will probably have a great time. We really like the quieter ambiance of Plantation Gardens and they have done great jobs for our birthday dinners. You could have drinks at The Beach House and then head over for a quiet dinner at Plantation Gardens. We celebrated Father's Day at PG these last several years and it's been a real treat.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

The atmosphere at Beach House IMO....... is like a three ring circus. The Sunset creates a frenzied atmosphere that for me is not in keeping with a relaxed , romantic, dining experience.

The food quality is inconsistent for a restaurant with such " special occasion " pricing.

Plantation Gardens would be a good choice.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach House or elsewhere for B-day dinner

Martik. You said you loved your last time a BH. You told us about the wonderful waiter and food. Is it a zoo? Maybe. Sunsets and iPhones make people do silly things. Read the reviews. Some still love it. If its a first time experience I still say its nice.