We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing medicines/vitamins

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Packing medicines/vitamins

I know about the 3-1-1 rule for liquids, but I was wondering about how to pack medications and vitamins. Do I put them in a separate ziploc bag or do they have to go in the same bag with the liquids? I know I have to keep prescription meds in their original containers, but is it okay to put my OTC stuff (vitamins, fish oil, fiber capsules, etc.) all together in a weekly pill organizer? I don't want all that stuff to get thrown away when we go through security. We are not planning to check any bags, so it would be in my carry-on.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

THey don't have to be in the bag with the liquids and they don't have to come out. I think it is best to have things in their own container, in case you happened to be questioned ... but I put my advil, fish oil, vitamins all in the same bottle and have never had anyone ask me to look at it or anything else ... and i fly all the time.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

You mean you put all of the different pills in the same bottle with a label? Like an Advil bottle or something like that?

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

You only need to put your Rx meds in a ziploc bag for separate inspection if they are in liquid/cream/gel form so that they don't count as part of your carry-on liquid allowance. Ex - I have a Rx skin cream (in a tube larger than 3oz) with the pharmacy sticker on it that I send through separately from my shampoo/conditionner/etc. You can use a weekly pill organizer if you want or leave them in the original containers if they are in pill/capsule form - it doesn't really matter to the TSA.

denville, nj
Level Contributor
693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

Flying domestically I put all my pills in a pill organizer and have never had a problem, even with prescription medications that are not controlled substances.

Controlled substances I keep in the original labelled bottle. Never been questioned.

They don't have to be in the same container with the liquids, and actually would take up too much space.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

We fly every year with our meds in the weekly pill containers in our carry-on...never been given a second glance. Only liquids and gels (not gel capsules) go in the quart bag.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

Thanks so much! I already had everything sorted into a pill organizer (we leave in 20 days!) but was worried that it would be confiscated by security since it wasn't labeled. Glad to know I don't need to unpack it and start over!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

Yes i mean i put all my stuff in the advil bottle. I am not organized enough to have a pill organizer! If you use an organizer that could pop open, I'd only recommend that you either put it in a ziploc bag just in case it comes open, or put a rubber band around it.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

Just to clarify... the only gel capsules I am taking are fish oil capsules. They can go in the pill organizer with the other vitamins, right?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

I put rx and vitamins in a pill organizer and put them in my purse. Never been questioned. Any rx creams go in with the other creamy-liquidy stuff in the zip lock.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing medicines/vitamins

Yes Kay