We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai for a toddler

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
263 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai for a toddler

We're doing a Big Island/Kauai trip in early March with our 18 month old. We've been to both islands before - and did a lot of hiking, snorkeling, and kayaking. We're going to have to do this trip a bit differently and I'm wondering what kind of activities on Kauai might be good for a toddler? I think the beaches on the Big Island are more calm, so we'll probably do more beach time there - so specifically looking for non-beach suggestions.

Our son will put up with short hikes these days - nothing too long because he hates a carrier and his legs only go so fast!!

Kayak Wailua
Kayaking & Canoeing
Princeville Ranch
Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Alii Kayaks
Kayaking & Canoeing
California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai for a toddler

There are so many threads with this same question. Just type in activities with infant, toddler etc. in the search box above. There was this same question about a week or so ago. To the right of your question is a thread called good areas to hike with kids. It gives you lots of options.

Bluefamingo's blog with her little ones is a good read and I am sure she will pop up and help.

Here's another blog:

mommaps.com/mommapsblog/…

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai for a toddler

Your little guy will love the play structures at Lydgate--which is great--and Poipu parks. The very shallow lagoon at Poipu is perfect for him too.

There are boogie boards with viewing ports that are perfect for showing little ones the fish in shallow water so I wouldn't eliminate snorkeling from your trip! Do bring a life vest for your little guy to wear when he goes out.

What about renting bikes to ride along the shore by Kapa'a?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai for a toddler

I know the blogger who did this blog is a frequent on this board. But I really loved her list.

…blogspot.com/p/kauai-activities-with-kids.h…

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai for a toddler

My blog is http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com from our April 2011 trip with a 7.5 mo and a 2.5 yo.

MrsSandro linked to one particular page on my blog which I was going to point out - free and paid activities and some selected hikes.

My toddler did great on the Kuilau Ridge trail - it's very wide and gently inclined with a picnic spot ~1 mile in. See Day 6 of my blog for description and photos of that and the Lydgate playground.

Definitely plan some beach time on Kauai - Poipu beach has a sheltered keiki lagoon perfect for the small fries (with a small play structure for when they get bored of the sand and sea) and Anini beach is a lovely North Shore spot protected by a long reef. It's generally bathtub calm (and warm) with nice shade and audaciously brave roosters.

The farmer's markets are fun for kids - definitely get a coconut and drink the water (watching them hack it open with a machete is great fun too).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
263 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai for a toddler

Thanks - all very helpful info! Sorry that I didn't do a thorough search first - I scanned a couple pages, but didn't go further than that.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai for a toddler

When my kids were that age, we always stayed on Baby's Beach in Poipu. We bought one of those boogie boards with the viewing window at Walmart and they loved looking through that and seeing all of the fish. A big highlight for them at that age. You should really check out Baby's Beach. Wonderful place for little ones. They also loved the Kamalani Playground at Lydgate Park! They still call it "The Maze Park". Bird Talk show at the Hyatt was also a highlight for them at that age.

california
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai for a toddler

Does Costco on Kauai sell the boogie boards with the windows in them for kids?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai for a toddler

We found the boogie boards at Walmart. The dive shop in Poipu next to Outfitters carries them, if I remember correctly.

9. Re: Kauai for a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 07:17