We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

We would like to book a Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore. Which tour do you recommend and why? We will be there during summer June/July so I believe that tours do operate from the North Shore during Summer. Looking for a comfortable boat with a friendly, professional crew and maybe able to get close to caves. Suitable for a family with children turning 12 and 15 soon.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

My family went on Holo Holo from the north shore last July and will be doing it again this July. It is a rigid inflatable that has normal bench seating both out of and under a canopy. We went from the south the year before, but prefered this one. This one went in caves as well.. But that is always dependent on waves.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 15:04
California
Level Contributor
37,201 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

Last May I did Holo Holo Rigid Inflatable and LOVED it. They go out of Hanalei. Its a smaller boat, if you sit up front you will get wet, it has a canopy for those of us that don't want to be in the sun all day long, and the crew was very nice and funny. We snorkeled, had lunch, went in the caves and it was a great trip. Now we had some of the calmest conditions of the entire year so it made it much nicer. Napali Catamaran is also good. They are both suitable for your family. Take a camera as the shoreline and cliffs are unreal and you will clicking away. You meet and get signed up behind Tahiti Nui. They ferry people over in a van and then in a small dingy to the boat so it takes a while to get going was my only gripe. We were in the middle group, got great seats and had to wait about 30 mins for the others to board. Book early. These trips are popular. One July we didn't book and there were zero tours left for our week on the island. I learned my lesson.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 15:08
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

We're also trying to decide between Holo Holo and Napali Catamaran. Seems like the big difference is the type of boat. Anyone have any preference between the two?

California
Level Contributor
9,658 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

I don't see much difference other than Holo Holo provides some shade. We've gone several times with Na Pali Catamaran and loved it. I'm thinking of trying Holo Holo this summer just for fun. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

California
Level Contributor
37,201 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

They are very similar but Holo Holo's is a different type of hull so it has a more zodiac feel if in the front of the boat. Makes it kind of fun without putting your back out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

Thank you everyone. Wow I had no idea that I would need to book everything so early. I was hoping to wait until we were there so that we could book the best day based on the weather. How early should we book?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

I also used HoloHolo charters and booked a few weeks before I arrived. You do get a discount when you book online, so I would pick a date and book. Summer usually is good weather, so I wouldn't worry about it overly much. It was a blast!! :)

California
Level Contributor
37,201 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

You don't have to book today, but I would NOT wait until you get there. You can always reserve a day close to your arrival date and if the weather looks poor, change it if you can. Late June/early July is high, high season. The popular activities and smaller boats will book up.

9. Re: Napali Coast Boat tour from the North Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 06:17