We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

First time going to Kauai and I'm trying to figure out where the best part of Kauai I should stay. I have been looking at the East side (coconut coast area or something.) My concern is just being close to a nice beach and near food and shops. I just don't want to feel stranded if I dont have a car.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,430 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

First of all - you need a car for Kauai.

Second - really depends what time of year you are coming. If you are looking for swimmable beaches, it changes with the season. Generally, that means staying north in the summer, south in the winter. :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

You need a car. Period.

It would help us to know your budget for lodging and when you're traveling. Do you want a hotel, or is a condo good? How many in your group?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

I'm actually looking at condos. Seems to be cheaper in some ways. Budget is around 100 a night but I've been happy with the condos at 80 a night. I just want to be in the main area of the island I guess where most people would generally stay.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

Buses are an option for me too.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

Oh yeah. I'll be there at the end of may, early June.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,430 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

The beaches will be nicest on the northshore in May/early June. There are some great condo bargains in the Princeville area - I have often gotten them for btw $65-$90 a night - renting by the week is usually the cheapest.

Buses aren't really an option on Kauai.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

I think what people are trying to say is that public transportation is pretty close to nothing on Kauai. The only place with good bussing is actually in Honolulu on Oahu. Kauai has attractions all over and to get to them you need to drive. Others will know more on this- what I have read for your price range you may be very limited to the East side which some people stay, but really is not the main areas. If you stay there without a car, you will really not see anything.

Edit- see coal miner knows of cheaper places in Princeville. I did not know they had any condos there for that price. You would still need a car though.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 22:47
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

I would check with Parrish on their special rates for Waikomo Streams Villas in Poipu. They've been running some great deals lately and you may very well be able to get a nice condo in Poipu, centrally located for under $100/night.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/…

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

There is no one main area where people stay, there is a main commercial area, Kapa‘a, with many restaurants, shopping, etc. There are quite a few condo complexes too in Kapa‘a, however in your price range, start with Islander on the Beach. You could stay in Kapa‘a without a car, but you'll miss all the best of the island - for that you need a car. The bus is very limited.

Princeville is another option. Many condo complexes, however June is HIGH season. By the time you add in a cleaning fee and taxes, you'll probably be closer to $100.00-$125.00

Start looking on vrbo.com. Also try Aloha Condos (they represent several Islander on the Beach condos).

You might want to read the subjects under Top Question (on the right) to get a little better idea of the island.

3Chihuahuas

Veneta, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of Kauai is best to stay in?

As stated, get a car. We always stay in Kapaa, which seems close to the center of the north and south ends. You'll want to do both ends just because it's so nice and the variety of scenery changes so much from one end to the other. South, dry, north, wetter. It also depends on how frilly you want you stay. We stay budget and it ends up being great! Get a cheap car, somewhere around $200/week and go enjoy yourselves! Don’t plan a bunch. Go with the flow, do a couple events but relax!