We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

box jelly fish

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
box jelly fish

I just found out that box jelly fish are sometimes present about one after a full moon. We were planning on coming down on 5/5 and doing a Na Pali coast tour on the 6th which would be prime time for box jelly fish. Our dates may be flexible and our other option is to come down on 5/9 instead. Should I change the date of my trip? Is this a pretty common occurrence, or does it happen more frequently on Ohau? The only problem with changing the dates is the airfare might be more expensive.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: box jelly fish

Oahu's southern shores get the worst.

No need for you to change you schedule.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 14:47
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: box jelly fish

We have been snorkeling here on kauai, all the different shores for 19 years and have not see a boxie.

Janet and Dusty are right on, they seem to be a fairly large problem on oahu, so dont be too concerned about kauai and boxies.

May, both of our shores shoud be OK for snorkeling, but do check the ocean conditons, and currents, and check with life guards. Just a freindly hello, and ask. People are always willing to help you out, and you are not a bother.

In fact, most of us appreciate the visitors asking us questions, especially when it comes to keeping them safe and comfortable. But , we also lenjoy assiting in any way that we can. Actually, it is fun for us, and the info that the residents have can be extremely helpful and interesting, Plus , you get to talk story for a bit with a freindly stranger.

Thank you, for your question, as there are probably others who are wondering the same thing. Doubt you will have any boxie encouters, but to say high the rest of the finny friends that you will see.

Oh, just FYI, you might pick up one of those large plastic fish identification cards. Pretty cool . After you get out from snorkeling , you all can point out what fish you saw, and what they are. Fun time while you dry out and get some sunshine on dem bones.

Denny

Edited: 03 February 2013, 15:17
palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: box jelly fish

They are definitely worse on Oahu. I have seen 2 jellyfish off Poipu Beach last year. I wouldnt change plans, just be aware of your surroundings when snorkeling.

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: box jelly fish

Oh heavens, no need to change plans.

If you really hate boxed jelly fish, don't go to Malaysia or Australia. I have a stinger suit for you if you want to borrow it.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: box jelly fish

There's such a minute chance that you'll see a box jelly on Kaua`i that I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like Hanauma Bay on O`ahu, where they actually close the beach for the duration.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: box jelly fish

We've been traveling to Kauai since 1990. Only once in all of those years did we run across the box jelly fish and that was on the west end of Molokai, not on Kauai.

7. Re: box jelly fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 06:17