We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear...

Salem, Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear...

Silly question but...

We haven't traveled much to warm climates in the winter and are leaving for Kauai in two weeks. Is it safe to pack warm weather clothes, sundresses, shorts etc but then a light jacket for the evenings. I find myself wanting to pack pants but I don't think that will be necessary.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear...

Summer clothes. Breathable cottons. Sandals. Tennies. Jeans for a plane. I take a zip-up hoodie sweatshirt and a light cotton sweater. Shorts, capris, T-shirt or light cotton tops.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,434 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear...

I have never needed a jacket on Kauai - maybe just a long sleeve shirt would be good if you tend to get cold. In winter, I wear jeans/jacket on plane, but they get removed usually before landing - no need for long pants on Kauai unless you are riding horses or ATV's, I would think. Most people over pack - keep it casual. :)

California
Level Contributor
37,956 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear...

Oh I've needed a jacket in the winter on Kauai! I bring a light weight fleece for evenings and going to the canyon or a boat ride. Kauai is quite casual and save some room in your suitcase for buying a few cute islandwear outfits and aloha shirts.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,626 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear...

I get cold easily. We're often out before dawn and after sunset. We each bring a zip hoodie and light sweat pants, keep them in the car along with dry towels, they've been worn often (we come in early Fall). I keep a beach bag with me all the time. I have an umbrella and a sarong in it.

3Chihuahuas

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear...

Note to Shelfish: Coalminer is from Alaska.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,434 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear...

Exactly BLBL - when you leave -40 to come to Hawaii . . . even the coldest on Hawaii is pretty warm for an Alaskan! Less of change when visiting during the summer, but the only place I ever felt a need for fleece was hiking in Volcano Nat'l Park on the Big island - when the sun went down, it cooled off very quickly. :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear...

Pack light and easy......we only bring one legal size carry on, that we might check, or carry on (per person). That is it for our two week stays on kauai when we were visitors.

Now, we do need to be mindful of space in the duffel bag. So I wear the one pair of long pants on the plane, a quality aloha shirt, and a light jacket since the planes are usually a bit cool up at altitude.

Board shorts, tank tops, a couple of aloha style golf shirts, and another one or two aloha shirts for going out to dinner. One pair of athletic shoes for normal wear, and one pair of strong but beater tennis shoes for hiking.

Now , with all the restrictions for liquids....I wait until getting to where I am going to buy soap, shampoo, shave creame, etc., when we go to pick up our two weeks of provisions on island, or where ever we are visiting. I do have a small travel pack with small size toilet articles made for TSA check throughs.

Erica wears a tropical style dress on the plane, and a light jacket type lady looking thing. She has shorts, those capri pants, light cotton tops, sandals, and old beater hiking type tennis shoes.

Toss in camera, mask and snorkel, dive gloves, visors/caps/hats, a couple of swim suits. Underwear, and low rider socks.

Also the UKG, and 101 things to do on Kauai.

Our dive fins, are super long, so we leave them at home and rent fins at nukumoi or snorkel bobs.

We DO NOT overpack.

Also, back when we were visitors , Erica love the clothes at TROPICAL TANTRUMS and would usually pick up a tropical style dress each visit, to wear not only on island, but back home in the beach cities of southern california. It became SOP.....in Hanalei, she would go to Tropical Tantrums and I would park my okole for a brew at the Hanalei Gormet next door.

We still travel the same way, espeically when going to a warm climate.

Also, the long pants and a light jacket may come in handy when returning to the mainland, and the cooler if not frozen weather, ice, and storms that may be greeting you.

Honestly, I see people, couples, with five or six huge bags of luggage, and really do not understand why they bring all that. Their choice. We just keep life easy and hassel free. Not to mention back pain free.

Denny

Salem, Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear...

What great information! I will try my hardest to pack only the neccessities. I was over thinking it, trying to be prepared for all weather climates! Jogging outfit for coming/going, Shorts, swimsuits, and a couple sundresses and one light jacket should do it. Thanks so much!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,314 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear...

And you don't need heels or fancy shoes, or stockings. Buy a pareo here for a swimsuit coverup. I also use mine as a shawl.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear...

I packed very lightly for our 8 night visit this January and could have traveled with less. The difference between visiting Maui and Kauai, in terms of clothes, is that once we left our condo on Kauai, we didn't come back until five or six. I stayed in the same clothes all day long and wore a swimsuit all day, every day......just in case we found swimmable beaches. On Maui, our condo is very central and we stop in a couple times a day and I change for our lunch and afternoon adventure.

Sundresses, simple shorts, tank tops and a top or two to cover my chest in case of too much sun. Just like my Alaskan neighbor, coalminer.........I've never had a need for even a light jacket while on the islands! A light sweater works great and I did buy a light fleece jacket for the ride home on the plane........the plane was where I found myself chillier than I would have expected this trip! Deb