We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

I am sitting here in the aftermath of Nemo (since when do storms have names anyway?) dreaming of being in Kauai in 42 days (woo hoo that's 6 weeks!) - I started the countdown at 200+ days.

So here is our revised plan. Some things are day dependent others we will do as the mood/weather suits us.

What do you think?

Arrive Monday early afternoon: Check out condo at Poipu Kaplil, grocery shop, chairs if needed, rent Snorkel equipment. Have a Sunset Dinner on a nearby beach: Brenneckes? Beach House?

(Tuesday or Thursday) Beaches around poipu. Sheraton, Poipu Beach Park, Shipwreck Beach, Maha'ulepu. Combo of relaxing and walking and ejoying.

Wednesday – AM Napali Coast Boat on Southern Star Then Kauai Brewery for Micro brew – Wash up at condo and walk to Farmers' Market at Kukui'ula Shopping Village - want Right Slice Pie!

(Tuesday or Thursday) North Shore Day. Ke'e Beach, some part of Kalalua Trail, Work our way back stopping at Hanalei Bay and anywhere else that we feel like. No real agenda.

Friday: Waimea Canyon, Kokee State Park, Waimea Town/ Jo Jos, Salt Pond Park, Hanapepe Art Walk

Saturday AM off to Maui.

Friday – Waimea Canyon, Kokee State Park, Waimea Town/ Jo Jos, Salt Pond Park, Hanapepe Art Walk 6 to 9

Thoughts? Comments?

Help me get through this snowy day. Off to google map drive some of the trips!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

Seems good to me. Can I come along?

California
Level Contributor
9,563 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

http://nukumoi.com/Beach_Rentals.html If you need beach chairs, you can rent them from Nukumoi where you can also rent your snorkel gear.

The only other thought about your itinerary is your Friday plans. After spending the day in the canyon and Waimea, I'd want to head back to my condo and clean up and relax a little. Yes, you'll be backtracking when you go to Hanapepe Art Nite, but it's only about a 20-30 min. drive, and the scenery is beautiful--it's one of my favorite drives.

Have fun!!

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
284 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

It's hard to comment on itinerary's because weather can play such a huge part of what you do. I noticed you plan to visit Waimea Canyon on Friday. My rec would be to stay flexible and go to Waimea Canyon when the mountain areas look clear. Yesterday would have been a terrific day to drive the canyon or do a heli tour. Almost cloudless and very little wind. Stay flexible. We listed a few things we want to do on this years trip and are trying to work them in when we can. If we succeed great. Have a wonderful time on your visit.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

Good points.

Will definitely be flexible. What we don;t get in this time we will have to get in next time.

West Bend, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
241 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

Try to catch a sunset on Polihale Beach, well worth the drive.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

I had thought you couldn't take rentals to Polihale Beach. Did I misunderstand!

West Bend, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
241 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

We have never taken rentals there. We buy a styrofome cooler and fill it with ""beverages" and food, take a few towels and sit on the sand. We go late afternoon, so the sun is not hot. We feel it is the best place on the island for a sunset.

It is a State Park, so I am sure that info about the rentals is available on a website.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

I meant car rentals.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

I bought a bracelet in an art gallery in Hanalei, with shells from Polihale Beach. When the male employee told me where the shells came from, I said I was so bummed I wasn't going to be able to see that beach. He asked why and I said I was just visiting and was driving a rental car. He said he understood that rental car companies do not want their cars being driven on unpaved roads, but that the road had been much improved over the years. He felt very pisitive that if we carefully avoided sand, it would be fine to drive the road to the beach.

My understanding is that rental cars are not allowed per the contract. We were only on Kauai for eight nights and not tempted to break the contract because sometimes things go wrong when it is most inconvenient and we just aren't rule-breakers :-))). I desperately wanted to see that beach, but just felt safer not tempting fate!

Your itinerary looks wonderfully flexible to me. We stayed on the north shore in January and I knew full well that we might have to drive south to find sun. We did many of the things you have planned and found it easy to simply ramble along, stopping here and there depending on what appealed to us each day.

Have a wonderful vacation. We very much enjoyed our time on Kauai! Deb

Edited: 10 February 2013, 16:46
West Bend, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
241 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Revised "Itinerary" Based on Feedback

We always go there in a rental car. We have never had a problem. It may be in the contract, but what are the odds of something going wrong out there, that you would NEED to contact the Rental Car company.

I am sure that you have driven a few miles over the posted speed limit, that is wrong too.

They know it is going to happen.