We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
283 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

I'm fed up with arriving to my seat, only to find the overhead compartments full and no where to put my one carry on. We just flew Alaska to Kauai last Tuesday. The couple in front of us tried to board with 5 pieces of carry on luggage. Thankfully they were stopped and required to gate check one of the bags. With out charge by the way. Then, upon arriving at my seat I noticed they were seated just behind me and all four of their bags were int he overhead which left no room for others. Guess you can't change some people's inconsideration. This is not the first time something like this has happened. I was steamed when this couple didn't have to pay for their gate checked bag when my paid-in-advance checked bag was sharing the same space in the bowls of the airplane. I hate to stoop to this level but if the airlines are not going to charge these people for gate checked luggage, what's to stop us all from doing the same? Is Alaska the only airlines to not charge? It feels better to get this off my chest, thanks.

California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

I agree 100%, the airlines need to enforce the rules for everyone. We also fly Alaska often and find it's easier to have them check our carry-on bag at the gate plus it automatically allows you to board with the first group and bypass the stampede of people during the open seating period. With most people trying to travel with carry-on's only it's impossible for Alaska to fit all those carry-on's in the cabin of a 737.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

I have to agree, have only been on a few flights where the airlines really cracked down. One was a flight to Newark and Continental was making a lot of people gate check their bags. Can't remember if they charged them or not.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

I agree totally with your frustration! We flew home from Kauai two weeks ago and on both flights people were so loaded down with carry-ons that just being in the waiting area with them was annoying. We fly Alaska 100% and love their policy of allowing people to gate check their carry ons to relieve the overhead storage........as long as you know they do it, play the game and get free checked bags.

We belong to the 49'ers club for Alaskans only and it allows us to check two bags free each. Our travel takes us to Hawaii only now and as long as we have flights that are all on the same reservation code, we bring one nice big duffel and we each have one carry on that fits under the seat. We get to board ahead of the folks that are carry on only and our travels are stress free. We then watch the parade of folks boarding with entirely too much crap and one woman after another that is unable to lift their carry on into the bin above.

On our flight to Seattle last month before the flight to Kauai, a lady across the aisle from us was so loaded down that she couldn't get her extremely heavy suitcase in the overhead. Her old school heavy laptop fell on my lap and about broke my kneecap. There was no apology, just an idiotic look on her face as she decided to keep the laptop under the seat in front of her. I was so steamed that i wanted to throttle her, but my husband was giving me a look suggesting I not cause a scene. He had no idea how heavy that laptop was until I told him later and showed him the bruise the next day. We saw her after the flight boarding the underground train with us and she could barely handle her "stuff" getting onboard. I gave her a look that let her know the laptop incident hadn't been forgotten. I doubt it will change her behavior or that of the people that hold the plane hostage while they figure out a way to pack their stuff into the already full bins. And yes, if I do need my overhead storage and it is full, that would annoy me too.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest AppleGuy. I work many hours a week at our airport in Anchorage as a vendor and see this problem everyday. One summer four years ago, Alaska Airlines stationed an agent outside of the security lines and that person would stop folks entering the line, if they had too much stuff. The abuse that employee put up with was overwhelming. They stopped doing that after a couple months and it was obvious that the "chosen" employee was not happy to have "bag check" duty.

Our next vacation is this fall and we will fly direct to Honolulu for four nights and then Maui for over two weeks. We will not be on the same reservation code, so I plan to retrieve our bag in Honolulu and recheck it through to home, rather than attempt to fly carry on for a three week trip. I enjoy our "carry on under the seat and load first" method of travel too much! Flying these is stressful enough that we do everything possible to alleviate the misery! Deb

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

Alaska has been doing this "check at the gate and you don't pay fee" for a long time. You also get to board early if you give up your bag. I think it sucks and have written to Alaska about it. I say you pay at the gate if you didn't check your bag and there's no more room. I have often asked the folks who I KNOW are sitting in the very back and yet my overhead is full to come and move their stuff (via the flight attendants). Maybe if the airlines went to the route of Southwest and didn't charge the outlandish baggage fees this problem would go away. Just saying..... (hurry up SW and fly to Hawaii)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

P.S. I agree jebett that they should check at the gate and expect people to pay instead of giving ig to them free. We are no longer in a society that expects folks to play by the rules. And I would do the same as you, but I travel with a man that is entirely too nice sometimes! Deb

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

I have noticed that most airlines don't charge people that bring large luggage on the plane that won't fit. It's extremely common and tons of people get away without paying. My husband and I always check our luggage because we bring bigger suitcases and just a few carry on items that end up not fitting due to everyone else's large suitcases shoved in the overhead bins. It has always made me angry and I don't think it's fair that we have to pay.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

What did airlines think was going to happen when they started charging for checked bags? The whole thing is getting crazy on every airline. Think they should charge if you have stuff to gate check.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

MANY people know about the "free at the gate" checked policy and will purposely bring too many, or too large, carry-ons to get this free check and avoid paying for bags. All of this is a direct by-product of the baggage fees, which, I am afraid to say, are here to stay. The airlines just make too much money off of them. It is really just a simple matter of enforcement. If you show up at the gate with too many carry-ons, or your bag is too large to fit in the overhead, it will be gate checked, ON THE NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT. This will keep the boarding procedure from being slowed down. And believe me, after only one time without their bags, these inconsiderate people will change their tune. Everybody knows the rules by now and there are measuring stations for carry-ons at the normal check-in stations. There is NO reason for people to be "shocked" at the gate when there bags are non-conforming. They are simply trying to take advantage at the expense of other passengers that do follow the rules.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
306 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

The main reason for the lack of space in the overhead bins is the increased passenger load without increasing the bin size. Couple that with the checked baggage fees and it's a win-win for the airline. I,too, would like to see a person with oversize gate-checked luggage charged for the "experience". And if they have already checked other bags they should be charged the higher rate. And if the passenger doesn't like it then give them the "we'll get it to you on the next flight" option. Beats me why they don't do that. It's not like their "customer approval" rating will suffer.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry On Luggage Is Out Of Control

I would have gone after laptop lady big time. I once had someone literally knock me over backwards in her rush to get her bag out of the overhead. I don't tolerate that kind of thing well.