We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

Hi All

Getting close to our trip now, and just loving all of the great tips on this forum.

Wanted to ask advice on picking our hire car up from the Hertz counter at Kauai airport. We have prebook and paid with our travel agent from Australia.

I have read some posts where people say it is soooo busy at the rental counters that we should split up when we land- one gets luggage and the other heads to the car rental desks?

We are arriving on a Monday around 1PM.

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

Unless there were five planes coming in at the same time and there were no other car hire companies on Kauai, well, maybe then. Otherwise, I think you will be ok with getting your luggage, walking across the road upon exiting the terminal and looking for the Hertz bus behind the kiosks to take you to the Hertz office, a mere three minute ride. You can gain some ground by sitting close to the exit doors on this bus and trying to be one of the first ones to exit the bus and walk into the Hertz office. Even if there are a few people in front of you in line, the people there are pretty efficient.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

I agree completely with Anna-Roz. We never go separately. We pick up our luggage and go together, have been doing this for 20 some years with no problem and never had to wait. We also go at the busiest time in Feb. (except this year sniff sniff)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,706 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

For me it would depend on how much luggage you have and if you want to wrestle it onto the shuttle.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

Good to know- thanks for the advice.

California
Level Contributor
36,659 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

Certain times of the day the lines can be very long. Its not fun and that's when one goes and gets the car. Killing two birds with one stone, works! If you don't feel like splitting up its not like you will be there 1 hour. The longest I have been in line is 25 minutes.

BTW, Anna's suggestion of sitting by the front of the bus is genius. If there are two of you, one goes and gets in line and the other grabs the luggage.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 05:18
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

We have been renting cars here on kauai for 12 years of visits, as well as on other neighbor island visits, and the mainland, etc. We are residents now for about 7 years.

We like to keep life easy and simple. So, we travel light, and only bring one carry on sized duffel bag, period.

Now, sometimes we even check them, just so we do not have to lug them around the terminal and stand watch over them during the pre boarding waiting time.

So, upon landing, I head over to the rental vans, and will be the only one on the van, the only one at the desk, and I am off and out of there with no upselling by the agent. Erica heads to the carosel and retrieves our two bags.

I walk up to the counter agent, drivers lic, insurance card, credit card and copy of the confirmation immediately laid out. I nicely tell them , I do not need any additiinal insurance, or a larger car, and I will fill the gas tank before returning the vehicle to them.

In short order I am out the gate with the rental car, and Erica will be at the baggage pick up area curb with our two wheeled duffel bags. The bags and Erica are in the car and we are on our way.

Now, at the same time, the thundering herds are piling on to the Rental Car shuttle vans, with all of thier many bags of luggage, then comes the line at the rental counter as the agents do their upselling to those who are not prepared, and cannot make a decision.

Ericas friend, a fellow M.D,, came to visit and the both waited at the carosel, then drove over to the rental car agency, stood in long lines, and what usually takes just a few minutes here at LIH, took them an hour and a half to get back to our condo wich is only a short distance from the airport.

So, we find that our procedure really does make life easy, but, every one is free to do as they wish. We elect to be on our way, and, as visitors, we would be checking into our accomodations at oipu kai, having a welcome maitai, before the other passengers even got their cars.

The a above is just FYI, Do what ever feels good to you, and that you feel comfortable with.

Oh, and good on ya for being able to drive on the other side of the road. We have had two , 30 days each visit, tips to the land of oz, and chickened out and rode your marvelous transportation systems, including the Sydney Harbor ferries to where ever we wanted to go. You all made life easy for us. We traveled much of queensland, as well as skippering a sailing vessel in the Whitsundays. We had a wonderful and fantastic time.

Cheers, and welcome to Kauai.

Denny

Edited: 11 February 2013, 15:07
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

Again, you have to do what you feel comfortable with, but we always split up. We don't even have to wait in a line at the rentals because I'm an Emerald member with National so I just go choose a car and go. But, we find it so much easier to not have to bring luggage on the shuttles. I'm always back to get him as soon as he is walking outside with the luggage. So easy.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

The suggestions to split up really is to simply make things easier. This is especially a good idea for those who travel with checked bags. So many people do it this way just to make it easier and in fact I'd say most do it this way these days. It's a hassle dragging all of your luggage up and off of the shuttle. It just makes more sense (and it can also be faster) for one to go grab the car. Nothing bad is going to happen to either person if you split up. The drive back takes 30 seconds.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 16:30
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,813 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

Hubby & I have always gone together to get the car, but that is mostly because we both drive the rental car. All drivers need to be added to the contract and drivers license shown to the rental agent. Can one person show both licenses, some here on TA say that is fine, but we haven't tried.

3Chihuahuas

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picking up hire car at Kauai airport

<<I have read some posts where people say it is soooo busy at the rental counters that we should split up when we land- one gets luggage and the other heads to the car rental desks?>>

We don't do this because it's too busy at the counter. I like to walk over to stretch my legs after the flight and I hate taking all of our luggage on the car rental shuttles. With 4 of us, we check all of our bags and carry on our just our computers and cameras. So I leave it all with my husband and one son while the other son will walk over with me. It's more about getting the exercise and enjoying the island ASAP.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 18:24