We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

New Albany, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

TA,

been traveling to Maui since 2004 but going to try Kauai this year... We'll have our 2 kids with us so would rather stay at a resort rather than a condo/house.. Suggestions? is the Westin ocean front or a drive walk to the beach?

Thanks in advance

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

The Westin is in Princeville, a planned resort community up on a bluff overlooking the ocean - so it is a drive or very long walk to the beach (there is a path to Anini but I've heard it is very steep and not for kids). There is a shuttle that will take you to the sister property, St. Regis, though the beach there (Pu'u Poa) is not my favorite.

What time of year are you planning to go? What's your nightly budget? Personally I prefer to stay in a condo because you have a LOT more room and the kitchen means you don't have to go out for every meal, which to me is just exhausting.

We stayed at the Wyndham Bali Hai Villas in Princeville in April 2011 with a 2.5 yo and a 7.5 mo and it was great for kids - 2 bedroom units with lots of room to spread out, pack n play provided for no extra charge, two wonderful pools. Here's my trip report, kids' activities list and resort review: http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com

I love Poipu with kids - the resort area is very walkable and the keiki lagoon and nearby playground at Poipu Beach can't be beat. Check out Kiahuna Plantation (either VRBO, Outrigger or Castle) or Nihi Kai Villas. If you have your heart set on a resort, the Hyatt has amazing pools and a kids' club for the 4 yo. Even if you don't stay there, check out the koi feeding, the Bird Talk and the torchlighting ceremony - great entertainment for the littles.

We're renting a house in Hanalei for our September trip with a 4.75 year old and a will-turn-3 year old (and perhaps other small ones if their families ever make a decision yay or nay...!) because it has the best of both worlds - beach and adorable little village with shops and restaurants all in one compact, walkable package.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 17:32
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

With younger kids, I would start by looking in the poipu area. The north is great, but can be problematic in the rainy season. (I consider the Westin in the north). If you know you will be visiting from May - Sept, then forget what I said - the north is drop dead gorgeous and you should consider it.

Hyatt, Sheraton, Kiahunna plantation.... those would be good starting places for me in the south side. Your odds of staying dry and calmer seas are better down south for a good part of the year. I think you will also find other families staying in that area too, so you will feel at home there.

We stayed at the Kiahunna Plantation for our 10yr aniversary with 2yr and 6yr kids, and it was perfect. We will be back there soon for our 15th.

I would avoid the staying on the east and west sides. We stayed on the east side once and it is best used as a starting point for driving where you really want to go.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

One more thing.... 3 beaches that are awesome for young kids:

Poipu, Lydgate, and Ke'e

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,707 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

Add Baby's Beach in Poipu as another place for kids. Salt Pond on west, as well.

New Albany, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

Thanks for the tips! The time frame will be end of Aug/first of sept.

6. Re: First trip to Kauai. 4 yr old and 1 yr old...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 06:16