We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princeville Area

Dammeron Valley, UT
4 posts
Save Topic
Princeville Area

We are planning on coming to Kauai in June. If we book one of the bigger resorts in the Princeville area, are there local restaurants that you can walk to -- or is the Princeville area more difficult to find good food at reasonable prices vs. the Poipu area?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princeville Area

Both areas are tourist destinations, so neither have lots of what I call reasonable/cheap food. Neither have much that is walkable. Which "resort" are you planning on? You need a car on Kaua‘i.

3Chihuahuas

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Princeville Area

See Pat's other post 3 chis . . . made earlier this morning - they will have car, but they really need a map of Kauai that shows restaurants. :)

Dammeron Valley, UT
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Princeville Area

It was mentioned that we should get a map of local restaurants. Does anyone know where I can get such a map that would show local restaurants in Princeville as well as Poipu?

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Princeville Area

When you get to Lihue airport, the baggage area is full of free magazines that include maps. Use your guidebook and these mags to pick out and find restaurants. Or you could pick out restaurants using this site and google map the addresses. Kauai is not so big or complicated and the restaurants are, of the most part, easy to find.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Princeville Area

I got a list of restaurants of the north shore from Jebett I believe.... If you private message me your email I will send it to you.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Princeville Area

There is actually only one resort in Princeville - the St. Regis. Everything else is condo complexes. And there is very little in the way of restaurants that I would consider walkable from either the hotel or any of the condos. And none of those places would have "reasonable prices". Depending on exactly where you are in Poipu, there are probably more options for less expensive meals.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Princeville Area

Check out Google Maps. They have restaurants marked though not 100%.

Poipu has many more restaurants than Princeville. Other than the brutally priced ones in the St. Regis, there's Infigo (decidedly quirky and marginal IMO) and Chucks (blah at best) and a small food court in the little shopping center. Most of the food choices are down in Hanalei. Not a far drive -- maybe 4-5 miles.

If you just hit the restaurants tab here on T/A, you'll see the number in Poipu and can read the reviews. If easy access to many restaurants is a criteria, that one leans Poipu IMO.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Princeville Area

In Princeville proper, we actually like CJ's for a "splurge" every few months.

They do a really nice job with the salad bar and rolls, so no need for an appetizer - I usually make multiple trips. The entres are pricey at $30 for my choices - Hanalei shrimp or ribs, but that includes the salad bar and a baked potato with all the "fixins" brought to the table in a tray.

Add a drink and the mud pie for desert and a couple can get out for about $100 with the tip and not feel fleeced like you do leaving many north shore restaurants.

I'll grab a burger for lunch too regularly from North Shore Grinds at the Princeville Chevron. The guy on that grill has really perfected that grilled onion and muchroom with the cheese melted over the Princeville Ranch beef :)

Edited: 23 February 2013, 19:42
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Princeville Area

Dave, apparently lots of folks thought Infigo marginal because it's gone. Rumor mill has the owner of Paradise Grill, which has just closed in the Princeville Food Court is going to open in that location. Hope they step up the food a lot from the Grill. We like Nanea at the Westin and didn't feel the prices were that bad. Certainly your best bet for reasonable prices are some of the places in Hanalei. The Hanalei Gourmet, Kalyso's and the Tahiti Nui are some of our favs.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Princeville Area

Add in Village Snack & Bakery for Hanalei. Definitely reasonable and soooooo good. Go early and you can get malasadas or Spam Musubi. They will also do hashbrowns instead of rice in Loco Moco.

3Chihuahuas