We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

KALAEHO STEAK AND RIBS.

It was saturday night, our date night, and we go out to various restarutants for special dinners.

It had been a while, and we were concerned about possibly driving back from Kalaeho at night and in the rain. But, it cleared up a bit, and what is great is the county has put new relflector rumble strips on much of the highway along our route.

That is very helpful to visitors and residents alike for night time driving. So we abandoned our two back ups close to home, Dukes down stairs, or the combo of happy hour at Robs, and dinner at KIBO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KALEHO STEAK AND RIBS....

Oh my, it was a great evening with a surprise.

Getting there early, we sat up at the bar, and had a cocktail before going in for dinner, How pleasant. A young man named Zack was working the bar and coctail area. Super sharp , feindly and we talked story until dinner time.

The ambiance is paniolo cowboy/western, and perfect for a change of pace from topical. Great pictures and western memorvilla decorates the walls. Cool and interesting, and reminded me of my younger years when staying with my grand parents out in Livermore, Ca,. the ranches , farms and of course th Livermore Rodeo.

Dinnner: We both ordered huge prime ribs, rare, seasoned with sea salt and other spices. Now, we have eaten at nearly every resturant on Kauai, from resort to mom and pop.

Four us, this prime rib is the best that I have ever had in 19 years here, and many of the others were excellent, but the Kaleheo Steak House on Papalina Road, are the best that we personally have experienced.

Dinner came with bread, super fresh salad, and onthe dinner plate, mash along with vegies. Yes, we were bad, after the entre we added on a delicious desert, and they honored Erica's request for extra whipped cream with our bread pudding. They have a great menu, and other choices of entre, but we both were hungry for beef.

Hold it , there is more, after dinner we walked down stairs to the saloon and took a table up near the band. Now, this is our kind of fun.....and I mean, clapping, singing along, fun music with a band that was having a great time while they entertained.

They are called the G.O.A.T's, which is stands for

GREATEST OF ALL TIME....they are funny, fantastically talented, well seasoned entertainers. Music is classic country and rock and roll. We actually knew the words and sang away.

They used to play at Casa Blanca in Poipu. Not sure how often they will be at Kaleheo Steak House, as they do have different entertaiment on different nights You might check, but I betcha they also would be fun.

The GOAT's started about 7 pm, and went until about 10 or later.

We left at break time before the last set.

The drive back to Lihue, was easy and smooth, especially with all the new reflectors and the completed new construction. No worries.

For a change of pace, and some grand ol feel good fun, as well as excellent food, drinks and service, if you like, try the KALAHEO STEAK AND RIBS. Main hwy, turn makai at the Papalina traffic light, they will be on the left side, a short distance down.

Denny

California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

Sounds like a great time! We'll be there this summer. I'm with Erica--bring on the whipped cream!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

I also love Kalaheo Steak and Ribs. More like a local restaurant and a great place to go if you're tired of the usual tourist fare and want to see some meat and potatoes on your plate. lol

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

Great idea, maybe the four of us could go for dinner.

Denny and Erica

California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

Count us in!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Kalāheo Steak is a real long time spot - I know it has been there for maybe 20+ years - used to eat there with my parents when we first visited Kaua'i - definitely more "locals" since it isn't really part of the visitor area as I think of it anyway.

Good to know it is still going strong - just drove past it about 10 minutes ago actually!

Since we don't eat meat anymore - not a spot we go to - but any carnivore will love it!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,844 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

Love the place, went in 2008 with my late husband, we got there at 6 when they opened, and at least 6-8 people ahead of us. Took awhile to take our order, but after that the service was really smooth. Had a choice of Caesar or

tossed green salad, I had a great petit filet and I really loved that they did not charge for the baked potato like Bullshed does.

Glad to hear about those reflector lights, my night vision is not as good as it

used to be, part of getting older I guess.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

In all our years of visiting Kauai, have not tried this place. But we will on next trip. I usually O.D. on fresh fish for a couple of weeks, then have to have a little cow and this sounds like the right place Denny.

Tacoma
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

I'm gonna check out that place for sure

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

We ate there twice on our last visit. Really liked it! The food was great and filling, service was great, very friendly and I loved the bread pudding too.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great place for fun dinner...few are aware of

Sounds like a fun place to try.