We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paddle Surfing

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paddle Surfing

I'll be going to Kauai this June for the first time. I would like to go paddle surfing or surfing and was wondering where the best place to go would be. :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paddle Surfing

June should be the North Shore, although I have no clue whatsoever about the sport. I have seen those peddling along Anini Beach in a flat as a pancake water. Looked kind of cool.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paddle Surfing

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm not sure, but I think you are referring to SUP (Stand Up Paddling)....if that is the case, here is a company that operates up in Hanalei...on the river as well as in the Bay (conditions permitting)....June should be good for this.

adventureinhawaii.com/kauai_stand_up_paddleb…

You really need to SUP either in a river, or in a protected Bay (Hanalei, Kalapaki....).

If you google "stand up paddling Kauai" you will come up with many options and information.

Malama Pono,

Janet

P.S. ..I believe "3chis" from this forum did this on her last trip here...she could probably give you some info since I believe this was her first time doing SUP......

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paddle Surfing

In June, I'd go to the North Shore for SUP lessons and either North or South for surf lessons. Check out www.kauaiexperience.com on the North Shore. Our family has used this company many times for lessons. You can find many options on the South Shore. Margo Oberg Surfing School is often recommended.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,639 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paddle Surfing

Did you want to take a lesson or just rent a board? We rented a board from Backdoor in the Ching Young Village in Hanalei last Fall. $40.00 for 24 hours (board, paddle and roof rack). We went over to the Hanalei River, behind Black Pot Beach to paddle around up the river a bit - really fun.

If you want to take a lesson, Hawaiian Surfing Adventures. I took a surfing lesson with them some years ago and can highly recommend them.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
36,418 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paddle Surfing

SUP is very fun in Hanalei. You don't WANT to go out in big waves your first time, so this spot is perfect. Its not easy. We have used Hawaiian Surfing Adventure and they are good teachers.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
609 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paddle Surfing

I watched them last year at Kalapaki Nay it looked like a blast. Never got up the nerve to try it but everyone seemed to be having lots of fun and it appeared to be quite easy to master. I never saw any big spills.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paddle Surfing

3chi.... Hope you went up the river some. The river area near Weke Rd often has water quality issues:

…surfrider.org/2013/…

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paddle Surfing

In my post 7, I should not have mentioned "hope went up the river some" as I have no idea if water quality any better. I should have only pointed out that tests indicate water quality issues and location where tested.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,639 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paddle Surfing

CT...no worries. And yes, I did think about it. Skip fell in twice and me once.....thankfully the river was not brown and it had not rained recently.

3Chihuahuas

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paddle Surfing

If you're going to try SUP I'd definitely take a lesson. I used Hawaiian Surf Adventures for my lesson and they were great. The main advantage of a lesson is they show you the correct way to paddle which is really the key to being able to stay up on your board. I was able to go out in to Hanalei Bay last June after about an hour on the river and even handle some small waves. And they let you keep the board for a couple hours after your lesson.