We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cloth diapers

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cloth diapers

My husband and I will be traveling to Kauai in May with our 7 month old. He wears cloth diapers. Is there is a diaper service in Kauai that can deliver them to our hotel? We would prefer not to use disposables and we definitely do not want to pack our cloth diapers from home! Any other advice for traveling with a baby would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cloth diapers

Aloha from Kaua'i!

To my knowledge there is no diaper service here on Kaua'i....this same question came up a couple of years ago and the answers would still be pertinent....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k37561…

Malama Pono,

Janet

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cloth diapers

We also use cloth diapers, but when we travel I like to use gDiapers inserts in a Thirsties cover. They're much more environmentally friendly and easy to pack (and the covers are so cute!). GroVia also makes a compostable/flushable insert.

I tried to find a source to buy the gDiapers or other cloth diapers on Kauai and found a store in Lihue called Baby Blutique on Rice Street. It was a a cute, higher-end baby store, but they didn't have any gDiapers in stock (shoulda called ahead...). They have a Yelp page, but the link to the website is broken, so I don't know if they're still open. You should call them and see if they have any other recommendations. http://www.yelp.com/biz/baby-blutique-lihue

There are two "natural" stores on Kauai that sell 7th generation disposables - still not great, but fewer nasty chemicals than your average Huggies. There's one in Hanalei (can't think of the name) and Living Foods in Kukui'ula shopping center in Poipu. The Foodland in Princeville carries a lot of organic baby food and snacks; they may have added more eco-friendly diapers since we were there.

I blogged about our April 2011 trip with a 7.5 mo and a 2.5 yo at http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com There's a tab called Travel Tips.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. The original poster in Janet's link above is also a good source for info re: traveling with little ones to Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cloth diapers

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Baby Blutique was having a liquidation sale a couple of months ago, so I don't know if that is still around...they were doing more party supplies and balloons than baby products lately also.

Malama pono,

Janet

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cloth diapers

Thanks Janet - I found a Facebook page that mentioned a balloon service, too, but it hadn't had any activity since last September. There's a pretty high turnover among boutique baby stores in the Denver metro area - I can't even imagine the challenges of owning one on a small island.

OP, in post #6 of the thread Janet linked above, coalminer gave this information for a cloth diaper service:

Bottoms Up, Cloth Diaper Service, Island Wide Delivery, Call Annabet (808) 639-9300, which I found on a site called Natural Hawaii.

of course, that info is 3 years old, and a google search didn't turn up any matching websites, but it's a place to start.

Crossing my fingers that DS2 will be potty-trained SOON so I no longer have to be an expert on this subject...

Edited: 12 March 2013, 04:59
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Level Contributor
39,757 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cloth diapers

<< GroVia also makes a compostable/flushable insert.>>

Many older condo complexes and hotels ask that you do not dispose of things likes this by flushing them down the toilet.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cloth diapers

Agreed Jebett! Last year on Maui we ended up needing a plumber right after our arrival because someone before us had put similar stuff down the toilet. The systems are not the same as the mainland on the islands.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cloth diapers

Oh yes, sorry - I meant to add that while the inserts are billed as being flushable, I only do it at home - there are plenty of systems here that can't handle them either (a friend of mine employed a nanny and gDiaper inserts after I recommended them both - and ended up with an enormous mess thanks to said diapers and said nanny - who hadn't had any problems with them at my house!).

The real benefit is that they have fewer chemicals than regular disposables (nasty to both baby and the environment) and they pack super flat (you can squish them even smaller in a Space Bag) - and you have an excuse to buy adorable new diaper covers.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cloth diapers

Does the place where you are staying have a washer and dryer?

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cloth diapers

Does the place where you are staying have a washer and dryer? You can always use a laundromat if they don't.

10. Re: Cloth diapers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 05:15