We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days needed in Kauai?

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How many days needed in Kauai?

Hello,

I am currrently planning a trip to Hawaii in August for 15 days. My sister has decided to get married in Maui so at this stage i am looking at staying 4 nights in Oahu, 6 nights in Maui and 5 nights in Kauai. I just need to check to make sure that this is enough time to see

- 1 day - Napali coast

- 1 day Waimea Canyon

- 1 day - Poipu beach

- 1 day - Hanalei bay

we would also like to see the north shore (Kilauea lighthouse), Opaekka, Wailua & Manawaipuna Falls but at this stag not sure where to fit this in. Is there anything on my list that isnt a 'must see' or anything that i am missing.

Many thanks in advance

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

Personally, I'd skip spending a lot of time at Po`ipu Beach in favor of north shore beaches. You could, though, go real early to the canyon and spend that afternoon at Po`ipu.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

Hit the search function with "top ten list" for a collection of top things to see/do.

5 days will let you get a taste of the island.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,504 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

I would stay on the northshore and visit Waimea Canyon/Poipu as a day trip in the summer - you are gonna love Kauai! :)

As far as activities, Kauai is one of the best islands for a helicopter or fixed wing tour of the island. Also, the only island you can kayak up a few rivers, so that would be a unique activity if that interests you. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

Yes, 5 nights is a good amount of time to see the things you have listed. Hanalei Bay is on the North Shore so you could see your North Shore sights (the lighthouse) on that day and see the falls that day as well. If you are planning to do the Road to Hana on Maui, then you might want to choose just one waterfall to stop on Kauai, as you'll see lots on Maui, but if not, I'd still maybe opt for less waterfalls in order to have more time at other stops (like the beaches).

Do you know which part of the island you are staying yet, that will help people suggest other things. I agree that Poipu Beach, although very pretty, was not quite as pretty as some of the North Shore beaches (Hanalei Bay is my favorite), but I do like to stay in the Poipu area for the restaurants and some good shops, and the island is easy to drive with day trips no matter which side you stay on (North or South).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Manawaiopuna Falls is on private property and the only way you can see it is with a helicopter company that has permission to land on the small area that you saw in "Jurassic Park".....

Opaeka'a Falls however, and Wailua Falls, are both easily seen from lookouts by the roads...

Malama Pono,

Janet

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

To answer your question, yes, in five nights-four days on Kauai you will be able to cover places on your list, and more.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

5 nights is enough to get a taste of Kauai. I can never get enough every time we are there. I too agree not to spend too much time in Poip'u.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

I'd say the one thing you're missing is a helicopter tour, which by itself would allow you to check-off the other items on your list - except maybe Poipu Beach - and give you more time to focus on the best reason to visit Kaua'i, or any other Hawaiian island. I'm betting you'll figure out what that is once you get there.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

Thanks so much for all of your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We will head off early to the canyon to include Po'ipu Beach. Im not sure why this was on my list to do but i must have read somewhere that it was something worthy to see.

It seems that more time is required on Maui so i think we will do 4 nights Oahu as we have to fly in and out of here, 4 nights in Kaui & 6 nights in Maui.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days needed in Kauai?

Sorry forgot to advise where we are staying. I haven't worked this part out yet as i needed to work out how many nights we needed on the three islands in order to book flights before they go up. This will be my next job ;)