We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

Hello my friends. Wondering if someone would be so gracious as to help plan a 1 week stay in Poipu. I know there are so many activities and things to see, but at the same time, it's only a week and don't want to spend every day sight seeing...some days just need some R & R.

The things that I really want to do while we are away is

1. Do an air tour to see the Na Pali Coast and Waterfalls...if possible to also do something by water

2. Go to Waimea Canyon

3. Queen's Bath

4. Spouting Horn

5. Beach Tour ( Spend a day checking out any beaches that are "must sees"

6. Waterfall Tour (See any waterfalls that may not be seen on airplane)

7. Luau

Ok so I know it looks like I know what I want...which isn't the case, it's more about where things are located, and also if there are things that I am missing, that would be really worth seeing. I don't mind doing some hiking, but not extreme. I want to be able to wear my running shoes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am trying with my mother for her 60th birthday...so your help would be great. Also I am hearing conflicting stories about the luaus. Which one to choose...help please!!!

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

And just so you know, I already have a guide book, this is more about assistance if possible. Thanks again!!!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

It sounds like you are going to be busy here for one week!

Please reconsider your idea of going to Queen's Bath, it is known to be one of the most dangerous places here on Kaua'i. The Kaua'i Visitor Bureau and Ocean Safety personnel also will tell you to stay away for your own safety. With so many amazing and beautiful places here that are comparatively "safe", please don't put this one on your itinerary. I've lived here for 15 years now and I've been fortunate enough to be friends with several firefighters who do Search and Rescue as well.....they have all told me that there is no "safe" time of year to go there and to stay away. The most dangerous time of the year is during our winter months, but even in summertime it is dangerous.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/article_df1f5…

Article on dangers on Kaua'i...please note Queen's Bath information towards the bottom:

hawaiiislandjournal.com/2010/…

It you want to see waterfalls the two that are the most accessible are Wailua Falls (the twin falls from the old "Fantasy Island" TV series)....and Opaeka'a Falls......both of these are easy to get to and can be seen easily in a morning.......the vast majority of our waterfalls are on private land and not accessible to the public, so these two are exceptions to that.

Spouting Horn is right here in the Po'ipu area and again, will take you about 15 minutes to see (including all the vendors who have stalls set up in the area).....

I'd certainly try to see the amazing Maha'ulepu coastline here on the South Shore, this is the largest, accessible undeveloped coastline here on Kaua'i and is beyond beautiful. Located just past the Hyatt Kaua'i on dirt roads, you can walk the beaches there and truly feel you have found your own "private beach" due to the lack of people.

malama-mahaulepu.org/mahaulepu/visiting.html

Have fun here on Kaua'i and please be safe in the ocean. I'd recommend using this website to check daily ocean conditions while you are here:

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/ocean_report/

You don't tell us what time of year you are planning on coming, which does affect some of the activities here.....so that information would be helpful....

I always recommend Smith's Family Lu'au here on Kaua'i for being IMO, the most "Kaua'i like" lu'au that we have......it has been put on by the same local family since the 1940's in the same beautiful tropical gardens, using local dancers and given with real aloha!

http://www.smithskauai.com/luau.html

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 15 March 2013, 19:26
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

We can't plan a daily schedule for you but we can give suggestions about other things you might not want to miss. You say you have a guidebook so I'm presuming you're also going through that for ideas. I'd recommend picking up at least 2 guidebooks. They each have a different slant on them. Also look on the Top Questions section on the right side of this forum.

What I see so far indicates that you do need to do more research and reading up. Tons of posts on this forum about seeing the Napali via the water or by a helicopter tour. Just punch these into the search function and many threads on these will come up. There's even a section in the Top Questions on that. Ditto on luaus. This is one of the most commonly posted questions here. Use the search function for luaus and tons of threads will come up on this with many suggestions.

Spouting Horn? A big yawn, imo, but worth a quick stop and a place to check out the souvenir stands. Good beaches on the south shore? - Poipu, Gillin's (Mahaulepu), Salt Pond. North shore beaches that shouldn't be missed..... Hanalei Bay, Haena (Tunnels), Anini . A lot depends on when you're going though. I've seen guidebooks with great info on beaches and that specialize on just that.

Pretty much everything you need is either here or in the guidebooks already. Your schedule each day is up to you and will depend on weather, etc. I recommend people write down what they want to see and do in each section of the island. Just try to squeeze those in when in the area.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

Queen's Bath really isn't that big a deal, and it's a dangerous place, especially in winter. Spouting Horn is about a half hour. The two drive-up falls, Wailua and Opaeka`a are quick detours on your way elsewhere. You don't mention going to Hanalei, which I think is a must. There's also Kilauea Light Marine Reserve. Both on the north shore.

When are you coming? It makes a difference in our recommendations.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

Traveling with your 60 year-old mother? Have you consulted her on the itinerary? Being 60 myself, I no longer feel travel is as much about seeing and doing as it is about observing and absorbing, especially when it comes to an exotic, tropical, south pacific location. (Unfortunately, the "absorbing" also applies to food. ;-) ) But even in Paris, I'd rather sit at a sidewalk cafe and observe and absorb life around me than chase around to Notre Dame, The Louvre, or Montmartre. So I suggest you talk with your mom. I think the air (prefer helicopter) tour is a good idea to get a lay of the land from a jaw-droppingly gorgeous perspective, but after that, she might rather just take each day as it comes. The most memorable travel experiences are almost always unplanned.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

I somehow missed that you're travelling with your 60 yr. old mother. Guess it's all relative but I consider that young. The activities you've laid out so far are just fine (presuming she's not handicapped in any way). I would add a tropical botanical garden to the list also. There is a garden near Kilauea called Na Aina Kai. They offer many tours, some walking, some via a trolley thing and some a combination of both. Here is the link.....

http://www.naainakai.org/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

"Guess it's all relative but I consider that young."

So do I, Napaguy. In fact I'm still doing century bicycle rides and week-long 500+ milers. But that has little to do with how I prefer to experience Hawaii or Paris.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

thrumylens, good for you. I'm envious. Really. My only point to the OP was that the activities she's picked so far are indeed suitable for her mother. Not sure if you understood that or not.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'd agree that all the activities with the exception of walking down to and seeing Queen's Bath would be suitable for her 60 year old mother, IMO that isn't "suitable" for anyone, no matter what age. Just the walk down the steep trail and along the sharp lava ledge along the ocean has caused frequent injuries...let alone the "Bath" itself.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Tacoma
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week itinerary for Kauai...staying in Poipu

We just returned from a great one week trip on Kauai. Here is what we did in that one week and really relaxed and enjoyed ourselfs. We arrived on a Saturday so on Sunday just relaxed. Monday we drove to the north shore and did some sight seeing. Tues and Wens we hiked around poipu on the heritage trail didn't go to far on that as it was getting warm but did see some whales. Thursday we drove up to Waimae canyon and Kokee state park it was so beautiful . I felt that we had a very well balanced vacation . Try not to overwhelm yourselfs and take time to relax and enjoy the beauty around you. Poipu is a great place to stay!