We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Preference

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Preference

I've been checking rates and they're pretty much the same...

Just wanted to know if anyone had input about the different companies. I've rented from Alamo in the past...and had bad experiences.

Alamo, Budget, Hertz & Avis are all within 5 dollars of eachother...just didn't know which to pick.

Thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Preference

I've used them all, and have not had any problems. Alamo tends to have longer waits to process you when you pick up your car.

If you've got any of their premium cards (Avis Preferred, etc.), go with that one. Also, sign up for their 'last minute specials' emails. I was able to save $40 on a 2-week rental and move up a car size when I was out there earlier this month.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Preference

We went with Dollar on Kauai and Maui only thing I've heard about them is possible fee for second driver.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Preference

I have also heard of long waits at Alamo (one hour!) and that alone would deter me, if the rates and 2nd driver policy are the same.

The person I know that waited an hour did so because they believed they were only paying 10 cents for the week's rental, due to a package deal through their travel agent or condo booking. Having the package rate broken down like that - only a dime for a rental car - probably made the wait more bearable.

Personally, if it's only a $5 difference, I'd go with Avis who in my experience always gets me on my way quite speedily and with a smile too!

Texas
Level Contributor
559 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Preference

I rent from Alamo quite often and never had a bad experience or had to wait more than 15 minutes when it was crowded. I generally use Alamo, Budget or Thrifty, depending on who has the lowest rate for the vehicle I want. This time I am renting from Alamo with a Contract ID of 430710 and a Rate Code of BY and I'm getting a free additional driver for a mid-size. Thrifty with a code of AU11 was cheapest for Jeeps. Alamo was cheapest for convertibles.

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Preference

Thanks everyone for the input.

I wasn't aware of a second driver fee...is that normal? what is it usually?

Thanks again

6. Re: Car Rental Preference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 21:20