We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napali Catamaran questions

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
279 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Napali Catamaran questions

Hi All:

Our family trip in July is getting close. 106 days by my count.

So, I need to book excursions soon since we are a group of 11. I want to do a Napali tour from the North Shore as we are staying in Hanalei.

My husband and I did the HoloHolo Napali sunset last winter so I was interested in doing a day cruise this time and possibly going in the caves.

I know Napali Catamaran has great reviews but it looks like the boat is somewhat smaller than the HoloHolo cruise? Will it be comfortable for my 70 yr old mother? She can't do a lot of walking and does sometimes have balance issues but if she can sit and hold on she should be fine. Also, is there shade on the boat? We've got some sun allergies in the group (my mother as well as myself) and shaded area is necessary.

Thanks again for all the help!

L

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

holoholokauaiboattours.com/kauai_boat_tours/… I know jebett took this tour and loved it. There is some shade. It looks like they hold about the same number of people. We've only been on Na Pali Catamaran (3 times) and loved it--really no shaded areas though, but a hat and windbreaker might help. I think your mother would be comfortable on either. You're right--make reservations soon!

See you there :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
279 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

Hi 22kauai. I was looking mainly for tours leaving from the North Shore if possible. I think all the HoloHolo tours leave from Port Allen? I don't want to get up too early and drive to the South Shore... ;-)

Hmm...no shade might be an issue...I'll have to talk to her and see--she's very sensitive to the sun because of her medications. Thanks for the heads up.

Any other North Shore Napali tours to recommend?

Lisa

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

I did the Holoholo tour from Hanalei last summer - it left right from Hanalei, so no need to drive south. Two boats went out - we were in one with shade, the other didn't have shade, so you might specify when you book. I did book online and saved 10 or 15 %. It was a wonderful trip! :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
279 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

Hmm, I called Holo Holo and they only have an inflatable raft tour out of Hanalei. Even in the summer :(

Middletown...
Level Contributor
895 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

We did Napali Catamaran out of Hanalei in 2010, had a great time. some photos here: zeleznik-klein.com/gallery/hawaii2010/index.… You might be able to tell there was no shade on the boat, but it was pretty overcast that day. One thing I might be concerned about with someone that has balance problems is the process of loading up in kayaks to go out to the mooring and board the boat. OTOH, my wife had broken her ankle in three places just 2 years prior, was very trepidacious, but the staff was extremely attentive and she had no problems.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
279 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

Thanks again all for the input!

Well, in case someone else searches this I just wanted to complete the picture.

I just got off the phone with Napali Catamaran and they said the first 8 seats are under an overhang/canopy and should get some shade. She seemed to think the morning tour wouldn't be a problem anyway because the sun isn't so intense then either. I'll see how my mom feels about it and get this booking process started.

Aloha!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
279 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

Thanks David. My mom does like to canoe and she can usually handle getting in and out of that ok so, I'm sure if we help her she'll be able to make it. The pictures are really helpful--just what I was looking for!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

DavidZ hit on the major problem. The loading and unloading of the boats out of the north shore. You don't walk onto the boat right from a dock. You have to be shuttled out to the boats via kayaks or other small craft. You should take that into consideration. The larger catamarans with shade, heads, etc. all leave from Port Allen and you walk onto them right from the dock. This works better for some people.

Editing my post........ I just saw you responded back to David that this is no problem for her. Okay!

Edited: 21 March 2013, 19:33
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

I'm not surprised HoloHolo is only doing the raft. Long, complicated story, but the County seized the property where the boats were launching/loading behind Black Pot Beach - I understood the vendors had to vacate - kayaks, tour boats, etc. Not sure what the status is at the moment. Evidently some operators are still there, others aren't.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 21 March 2013, 20:20
California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Napali Catamaran questions

Its called a rigid inflatable boat. It is not like a zodiac at all and about the same size boat at Napali Cat. I loved it and there were all age groups on my tour.

We went out to the boat on a dingy. Not a kayak or canoe. I can highly recommend both tours but Holo Holos was very special.