We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our upcoming trip April 8th!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Our upcoming trip April 8th!

Hello all, have been receiving Garden News and enjoying everyones posts for the past few months. This is our fifth trip, staying in Kekaha area (condo w/ac in bedroom, but that's another well-discussed subject) but am getting concerned over ocean conditions on the west side. I will check online daily but it is really as crazy as it reads from afar? Interesting that it is 55 degrees at night, when we were there 2 years ago in April there was a heat wave!! Thanks for all the great advice and I am sure I will have more questions. We do not even have any activities planned yet!!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

We will be the 4/4-15. We stay in Lihue and it is never too cold but not sure on the Westside.

California
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

Things can change in a day. I wouldn't worry about April 8th on March 22nd.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

It has been crazy lately, but jebett is so right - in 2 weeks time, it can be right back to normal/average! Don't worry about it, look forward to your time!

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

We have been on Kauai since March 1st and think the weather has been delightful. It has been a bit colder than our past March visits but very little rain. The days have been warm mostly dry and wonderful for outdoor pursuits. We have been in the ocean almost daily and the water feels great. The few days on the North Shore when the surf was high we hiked or watches the surfers. Most nights a sweater or hoodie has been ample.

No worries....just look forward to your trip!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live in the Po'ipu area, but spend a great deal of time on the West Side....and am out there before dawn every Sunday morning in the Kekaha area.....it has been cold in the early mornings, but once the sun is fully up, it is quite warm....I'm always taking off my sweatshirt hoodie once it comes up.....

So figure on cool evenings but warm (or hot depending on your viewpoint) days on the beautiful West Side.......also the "beach" at Kekaha has come back! After about a year of disappearing beach and erosion, the beach is almost like it was (well the erosion is still there)....and that is nice to see!

And you do know there is no safe place to swim on the West Side, right? Well, except for Salt Pond County Park in Hanapepe....and that has been a wonderful place to swim all winter pretty much.

No safe swimming at Kekaha or Waimea I'm afraid.....nothing to do with the time of year either....just not a good place to swim in general.

Enjoy the beautiful West Side, I do!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

Thanks for the encouraging words!! I have read there are several safe places to swim near reefs in Kekaha but I defer to the experts on that for sure. We love the area and are excited to hear the beach is coming back! I am an avid bike rider, any bike rentals nearby? It seemed in the past the "bikers" were locals getting to work so am unsure of places to ride. Would like to horseback ride on beach also; any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The West Side is a wonderful place and my personal favorite part of the island here.....however part of its charm is that it isn't totally geared to the visitor, which means there are no bike rentals, no horseback riding outfits, etc. in the area.

You can rent a bike, but you'll have to do that in places like the Po'ipu Beach area (Outfitter's Kaua'i), and you can also go horseback riding here on the South Shore at CJM Stables and part of their ride does go for a short distance along the beach.

Definitely no areas that are safe for swimming in Kekaha or Waimea I'm afraid.....

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

I'm a bit confused by your questions. This is your 5th trip to Kaua‘i? Haven't you been out to Kekaha before? There are no tourist activities or even restaurants, the nearest would be in Waimea. I didn't think there were any condos in Kekaha and where did you read about safe swimming by a reef...there is no reef out by Kekaha...West side at Salt Pond in Hanapepe, there's an area of reef, rocks . Queen's Pond at Polihale, yes, but swimming isn't safe most of the time.

3Chihuahuas

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

My apologies I should have been more clear that biking and horseback riding were excursions away from Kekaha. We stay in that area because it is not so touristy but I must plan activities to get us to other parts of island or we will just lay on beach and eat plate lunch all day. It is a cottage not condo on larger property will main house also. New question how is road to Polihale? Getting excited!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our upcoming trip April 8th!

Whew.....I was a bit worried - eat plate lunch all day, my kind of activity!

Have a great trip!

3Chihuahuas