We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Beach

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Beach

Hey guys, we would like to go to a beach for the day when we get off the cruise ship, just wondering about how far they are (taxi cost)? Which beach would be the nicest etc..

California
Level Contributor
39,735 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Beach

Oh goodness. From the cruise ship to Hanalei would probably cost $100+ each way. Just from the airport its $100. My suggestion is to rent a car. All the beaches on the North Shore are gorgeous but what do you want to do and when are you going?

Another suggestion is to take this tour:

http://www.kauaiedentours.com/

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Beach

When are you coming? Kalapaki Beach is the closest; I think there might be a shuttle from the cruise ship. Taxis are very expensive; I'd rent a car and head to Hanalei Bay ( about an hour away). Poipu Beach is also great, about a 25 min. drive.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
389 Reviews
Kauai, HI
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Beach

Kalapaki Beach is a short walk from the cruise ship, however it's not where I would spend a day when the whole glorious island is under your feet. Do yourself a favor, rent a car. If you must take a taxi, here's a couple:

http://www.ponotaxi.com/

http://www.akikostaxikauai.com/

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Beach

The big question for you is when ??? The time of the year you visit makes a difference in the beaches we recommend.

No matter what, unless you want to just walk over to Kalapaki Beach you're going to have hefty cab fares. It's a logistics problem too because you'd have to arrange for a cab to pick you up at the beach at an exact time. Cabs aren't just cruising by waiting for riders. You're better off renting a car. Poipu would be at least $125 RT with tip and Hanalei much more.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Beach

Kalapaki beach is within walking distance of the Matson Gate. This is an extremely nice beach, and they cater to cruise ship passengers at the far right side. But you are totally free to find any place on the beach that feels good.

The sand is quite beautiful with coco palms and shade trees, and grassy areas between the sand and cement walk way.

Not sure what you want to do at the beach, but there is everything from vegging out, to swimming, boogie boarding, surf lessons, outrigger canoe surfing, and kayaking. Also, restauants and bars, plus just off property two small shopping malls with galleries and botiques.

Spendiing the time and money to drive all the way up to Hanalei just does not seem worth it.

I imagine that you can look up Kalapaki Beach on the web and see if you like it.

If you do not feel like walking, there is constant transportation on the trolly to the harbor mall, or the bus to anchor cove....all nest to Kalapaki Beach.

Denny

Edited: 26 March 2013, 04:28
Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Beach

Kalapaki Beach is nice and Duke's is right on the beach and a fabulous meal if you get one of the tiki tables out front. It's nothing compared to Hanalei but still nice and much closer.

IMO it would totally be worth the money to rent a car and drive up north, the scenery is breathtaking along the way. Go all the way to the end of the road (Ke'e Beach) for some awesome views!

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
East Coast
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Beach

If you just want to go to a beach Kalapaki is the one.

For the full day I would head to Hanalei pier and Ke'e beach.

1 quick stops on the way too. Kilauea lighthouse,

2 on the way back if not dark otherwise catch them also on the way to Hanalei

Opeaka'a and Wailua falls.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Beach

very much depends on time of year. And how much $$ pain you are willing to take.

Kalapaki is a very nice beach and you can walk there in 10 min for free. Poipu Beach is 20 min away and $50 ish each way in a taxi. Hanalei is an hour away and $100+ each way.

I don't see $200 difference unless you want a driving tour of the island with a stop at the beaches along the way. If you just want to lay on the sand and play in the water, Kalapaki is a great spot.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Beach

The beach at Hanalei pier (Black Pot beach) is interesting when the pier is there but it's under reconstruction now. Since the water at Black Pot beach isn't very clear I always recommend one of the other beaches on Hanalei Bay. They're all accessed via Weke Road, the same road that Black Pot beach is on. Just drive another 3-4 minutes down along the bay to Pavilions Beach. You'll see a small gravel parking area with the restroom and pavilion building right there. This beach area is lifeguarded and has restrooms and showers . You can actually walk it along the beach from Hanalei pier. It seems most tourists head to Black Pot not knowing there are other beaches along the bay with better water clarity and cleaner sand.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
389 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Beach

Thanks guys, maybe I will go to poipu beach, I like the sounds of that one, it looks nice in pics. Renting a car sounds good too, I wonder about bikes? It isent that far a long bike ride would be nice, if the road isent too crazy busy. Oh and we are going the 2nd week of may :) can't wait,