We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flipkey

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flipkey

I know Flipkey is associated with Tripadvisor is it always a trusted source for rentals? I have concerns about this property my sister booked the Www.privateexoticresort.com does anyone know of this property In Kapaa? He gave my sister and ID# for flipkey but it I feel unsure.

We booked late and he is asking for full pay and this is my first trip dealing with a rental just nervous.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flipkey

I found the listing on Flipkey and it does say the owner "Simon" is verified. Is Simon who your sister dealt with? Requiring full payment within 30 days of arrival is pretty common. Could you still end up being scammed, of course, listings and/or email gets hacked sometimes. What are your other concerns?

flipkey.com/kapaa-vacation-rentals/p184124/

One thing that does irritate the heck out of me, are photos with no captions. That first one with the mountain and waterfalls I believe is behind Hanalei, nowhere near this rental.

3Chihuahuas

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flipkey

Thank you 3chihuahaus yes she dealt with Simon and she emailed me and said she contacted Remax and verified. Sound like all is well I am the worrier of the 3 sisters it is our first trip to Hawaii for a 50 birthday celebration very excited.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flipkey

A good thing about Flipkey is you can trust the reviews there. They verify with the rental agency, manager or owner FIRST that the reviewer was a legitimate renter. No stuffing the ballot box, no trashing a place just because it's a competitor and owners and agents cannot remove uncomplimentary reviews.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flipkey

Although I have never seen this house, I love that area! It is beautiful. And 3chis, I think that is the mountains right there, not Hanalei.

It a beautiful area that I used to spend hours driving in when staying on the east side.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flipkey

Is that an approved VDA area?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flipkey

I'm going to step in here and argue with the validity of FlipKey reviews. While in the beginning it was a reasonable idea - there have been issues regarding bad stays that were never cued in for posting. In other words to get those reviews in you must be sent your review code by the rental agency/owner - this is how they are verified - but if they don't send the codes you don't get to post a verified review. If you have problems, they may not contact you ever again.

When it happened to me twice, I decided nothing beats gut reaction or following your intuition. Check for commentary within the body of forums, but know that not everyone knows all properties.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flipkey

Thank you to all for input.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flipkey

My feelings are the same as LesRose. You have to be "invited" to place a review. In my experience I have not received FlipKey survey invitations unless/until the property manager was pretty sure my comments would be favorable.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flipkey

The name of the villa gives me the giggles for some reason. Exotic? Really?

Usually I check both flipkey and VRBO/Homeaway to see if the property is listed on both. Usually it is. If it has more than 5 unique reviews I am okay with it. Less than that I question it's validity. I won't even second look at properties that have reviews submitted on behalf of owner.

That said as long as they have a valid TVR I think you are fine.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flipkey

Hmmmm..... okay. I wasn't aware that they're now doing it where you have to be invited to post. At least a long time ago it wasn't that way. You posted and they then verified with the agent you were legit. Even so, I think the controls are still better than what we see elsewhere.