We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Topic
Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

I can't find a place to buy this locally (NorCal) and it's too late to order online w/o paying a ton for quick shipping? Is there a place to buy it near Poipu, or if not that Lihue? (we are long-time fans of The Blue Book but I went to our library here to see if any other travel books might have something new for us. This was the only one. Thanks to the person here who recommended it).

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

not familar, but have a couple of suggestions

1. Costco has piles of books and it just may be there.

2. Call the Talk Story Book Store in Hanapepe Town....they might have Hidden Hawaii, or may know where you can find it. They are a friendly bunch, with lots of aloha, and billions of books ! New and used.

Others may also be able to assist you as well.

Denny

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

Thanks Denny. I'll email Talk Story. We love them (and they did talk story a looong time on our last visit two years ago, even after we bought our books. ;) I had hoped to find something closer to Poipu. As an avid reader, I'm bummed that there are so few book stores on island. (any rumors of another opening up? Maybe in Koloa town?)

California
Level Contributor
37,601 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

You might call Walmart on island.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

Recently I ordered a couple of things from Amazon and received them both in 2 days flat and that was with regular shipping. We're in the same general area. Maybe you'd have the same luck?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

No, unfortunately we have NO new bookstores on Kaua'i, and I am reliant on what comes in at Costco (and they do get some very good Hawai'i themed history books surprisingly enough)....the Kaua'i Museum Gift Shop....and garage sales, thrift stores....and starting tonite.....the Koloa Library Sale!

If anyone is here on the South Shore in the next couple of days, please consider helping support our local library.....and maybe find a book or two that you never thought you'd find! I am going to the pre sale tonite for members and along with others, always hope to score that out of print Hawai'i book that you've been looking for.....one of the biggest buyers there on this night is always the owners of Talk Story Bookstore, who usually walk out of there with boxes and boxes of books! So, while I love Talk Story and think they provide a great service....you can find those very same books in the next two days for .50 or $1.00 apiece!

"Hidden Hawai'i" is a good resource and since I am disillusioned with the UKG book after actually sitting down and reading a copy I got at a garage sale a couple week ago (I wanted to see for myself what all the huhu and hoopla was about).....I'd say try to find it at places like Wal Mart, K Mart in their visitor section....don't know if you can find it, but worth a try!

Ah....these days, Amazon.com is my friend I am afraid! No signs or talk at all of any new bookstore coming here anytime soon.....

Malama Pono,

Janet

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

Amazon has it for less than $20 (that includes shipping). Three of the sellers were from CA, OR & WA. I would think that shipping would be pretty quick from those sources.

California
Level Contributor
37,601 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

Do you have a kindle, girlwonder? I download travel books on that which is why bookstores are becoming dinosaurs.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

Thanks everyone for your tips.

@napaguy, Yeah, I've had Amazon deliver in a couple days with their free shipping, but it's unpredictable. If the book arrives after I'm gone it does me no good.

@ jonandlisa, thanks for that tip. When I've bought books from other booksellers (usually via abe.com), they've always shipped them using media mail (aka The Pony Express). I've waited more than a week to get something from Reno to the SF Bay Area, about a 4 hr drive. I didn't see those other sellers but could look into it if this happens again (i.e. they can guarantee a short delivery time for a reasonable price).

@koloagirl, I love library booksales! I'm soooo bummed I missed this by one week. Sigh... Did you score big last night?? ;)

@jebett, oh, I've spent too much of life in front of screens as it is. I love the feel of a real book (and a real hardcopy newspaper on Sundays). Maybe I'll go the way of the dinosaurs... ;)

As it turns out, my local indie bookstore was able to order it and it will arrive by Fri (before I leave). So I'll pay list price less my 5% freq buyer discount. No shipping fee. Yay for the indie store.

I'm still bummed at the shortage of good books stores on island. Part of me feels like I should move there and open one myself. ;)

thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it!

9. Re: Is "Hidden Hawaii" available on island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:17