We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic

County of Kaua'i

HANAKĀPĪ'AI – Twelve stranded hikers were airlifted out of Hanakāpī'ai this morning after being stranded in the valley overnight.

Rescue 3 personnel aboard Air 1 flew into the area at around 7:30 a.m. this morning after being notified of two missing hikers. Once on scene, rescuers located 12 hikers unable to cross the Hanakāpī'ai Stream due to the high water level.

All 12 hikers were airlifted out of the valley without injury.

The island of Kaua'i remains under a flash flood warning until at least 11:15 a.m. with wet and rainy conditions expected to continue through tonight.

A flash flood warning means flash flooding is imminent or occurring in streams, roads and low-lying areas. Residents and visitors are instructed not to cross fast flowing or rising water on foot or in a vehicle.

Ocean officials also urge beachgoers to stay out of brown, murky water.

For up-to-date weather information, visit the National Weather Service website at http://www.prh.noaa.gov/pr/hnl/.

California
Level Contributor
37,241 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

Sigh!!!!!

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

again, was my first thought....

Happy they are all safe, at least.....

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

My husband hiked this last weekend. When he saw that the river was rising, he turned back and warned other hikers. They waved him off and said it would be fine. Luckily for those folks, it was fine but I really think folks should be a lot more careful when hiking to Hanakapi'ai Falls!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

Marti

Good for your hubby, but we all seem to be pounding our heads into lava rock walls.

We have dear and wonderful friends whotwo weeks ago moved to princeville from the mainland. They said it has been raining for a few days up on the north shore.. I looked at our mountains this week and they were socked in with clouds and rain. Two days ago our freinds were concerned about coming down to Costco and we had plans for lunch at Dukes today.

In using good common sense they had been watching the forcasts, and with plenty of lead , we re scheduled for thrs. If it improves , great. If not we wil make another day.

Back a bit, we have talked with fire fighter rescue personnel, who were stationed at the trail head to queens bath, and ocean conditons were strong, and the tourists were verbally warned....the tourists blew off the fire rescue people just like they did your hubby, who is one fit, smart, and adventurous person. He looks like he lives here and would be one that maybe the tourist trekers would pay attention to. Nope.

As mentioned before, these kinds of people are going to continue ignoring warnings and weather and do what they want.

Actually this morning , I was wondering if any one was going to ignore the warnings and get caught up there, and sure as heck......12 more . Add that to the 55 of a few weeks ago.

Thanks to all of you who are staying safe and senseable. Gold stars. We love you.

It is still raining here in Lihue, and has been off and on since I woke up at 3 am, and started well before then.

Last flash flood report that I saw just a while back is extended until 9 pm this evening. The just continue to keep on extending the warning.

Denny

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

I saw the Kaua'i rescue chopper fly north over my house this morning, and after a night of torrential rain, I could guess where it was heading. There was over 10 inches of rain in the past 24 hours on parts of Kapaa!

I do want to point out that unlike last month's incident, there were clear flash flood watches for Kaua'i this time, issued as early as Tuesday morning. Those should have been visible on any forecasting website, and any potential hikers should've changed their plans to hike yesterday. That people head out the door so unprepared and then ignore locals giving advice is bewildering.

That said, it is not known yet how many of the 12 trapped in Hanakapiai last night had day-hiked in from Kee on Tuesday, and how many we're backpackers hiking out of Kalalau valley. Obviously, those multi-day backpackers wouldn't have weather forecasts out there, they would just be trying to get out after several days of rain. I'd be interested in finding out.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 22:53
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well since they've now closed the trail due to the weather.....hopefully we won't have any more rescues necessary up there!

I have a friend who goes into Kalalau Beach and Valley every year on his birthday.....he was in there just before this last weather system came in....glad he made it out with plenty of time to spare....although he either hikes in there or kayaks in there several times a year and camps....he also "runs" the trail as well! And.....he is 62 years of age! I want to be like him when I grow up! LOL

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

It is amazing how some folks just blow us away with their abiltities. Janets freind is one of those.

I remember a couple or so years back we are walking in on the Hanakapiai trail in the summer. We have on our hiking boots and looking at where we plant our feet, and paying attention as to what we are doing.

Well, geezerdom is upon us as here comes three or four young surfers, carrying their boards running from rock to rock BAREFOOTED, and carrying on conversations and laughing.

As they happily bouded past like Impalas, I looked at Erica and said " Were we ever that young ?"

She looks at me and smiles " Speak for yourself !"

Now I am not advising running that trail barefooted, but you may have the chance to see that on occasion.

Good on janets, friend for his fitness......so important.

Oh, the sun is out in LIhue with some lingering clouds. Maybe this march stuff is about over. Hope so.

Denny

Edited: 28 March 2013, 00:22
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

You guys putting pakalolo in the water up there or what!? It's been a rough ride for first responders on Kauai this year!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

Wow, rough year this year. I too wondered if many of those stranded were hiking out from Kalalau and got stuck. At least all are safe. As many of you have said before...it ain't Disneyland folks....

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air 1 rescues 12 from Hanakāpī'ai

Glad I got a few sunny days when I was there last week. It was beautiful when did the trail. I made note as we crossed the stream. So the stranded people had to stay on the narrow rocky beach ovenight?

I saw those crazy barefooted surfer kids. They were hollering the entire way down the hill. They gave quite a show on the trail and in the waves. I was quite entertained as I ate my Spam musubi from Pono Market. : )