We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Topic
Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

Ahhhhh What can I say? Another day in paradise. If I never vacation anywhere else in the world I will be content.

Plan A was North Shore but since Kapalua Trail was still closed we headed to Waimea Canyon instead. We (really I) decided trails were a little too slick, but we went to the top and hit all the lookouts on the way down for photo ops. While the views on the way up were great, the views on the way down were awe inspiring. A fabulous trip and got some awesome photos.

Afte the canyon we went to the original JoJo' Shave Ice. Though I had my reservations about Shave Ice over ice cream it was fabulous! Really enjoyed as did DH with his plain ice (no ice cream since he is lactose intolerant)

Then we grabbed a to go lunch and headed to Salt Pond Park. What a great afternoon. Beach was empty, great breeze, calm waters and whale breaches on the horizon. What more could we ask for!!!

Then back to Poipu Kapili. DH watched March Madness and I sat by the pool.

For dinner we went to Tortilla Republic. Was full up since we had no reservation so we sat at the bar. Brian the bartender was awesome. Dinner was great.

Tomorrow we go to the North Shore, hoping the Kapalua Trail is open!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Glad you had such a nice day....it was nice and sunny here on the South Shore for most of the day....unlike other parts of the island apparently!

So you went to Jo Jo's Anuenue Shave Ice? That is the "original" one and is on Waimea Road kitty corner to the bank as you come into town......so ono!!

The Kalalau Trail (no offense, but note spelling, Kapalua is I believe a resort area on Maui).....if it reopens tomorrow remember that it was overcast today on the North Shore according to my friend who lives in Hanalei...but no rain, so they are gradually drying out up there.

I'd definitely check trail conditions before you go however.....if it is very muddy that could be a very difficult and slippery hike!

Have fun...and please be safe!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 29 March 2013, 07:13
California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

Sounds like a perfect day! Glad you liked Tortilla Republic; it's one of my favorites!

California
Level Contributor
37,456 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

The trail is supposedly open, but still be very careful. Wear really good shoes that you know are going to get so dirty you won't know what to do with the them after. At the top of the stairs from the parking lot, there should be tons of walkings sticks. DO grab one. Just go as far as you can. If its too muddy and lots of roots exposed, be careful walking back.

I just ate at the Tortilla Republic in LA. I can tell you Kauai makes better drinks and guacomole.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

Thanks for the tips!

Yes was a typo, meant Kalalua.

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

Love reading your trip reports - sounds like you are having a great time!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I hope you have a great day today!

No offense meant - but it is the Kalalau Trail - not Kalalua......

Malama Pono,

Janet

Texas
Level Contributor
856 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

What a fun day!!! Hope you get a trek on the trail--such gorgeous views! (if it's safe)

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

Will be interested to see if you took the trail today. The showers have been coming and going this morning. There was a wonderful rainbow as a result of one. Even if you cannot take the trail, there is so much more to see so please take your time and walk along Ke'e beach to catch the NaPali coast changing before your eyes. Drives me crazy that folks will drive up and walk unto the beach where the lifeguard stand is and not go any farther. Hanalei is fun in the rain and the bay is one of the best sights on the island. What ever you do, enjoy.

9. Re: Day 4 - Waimea Canyon, Salt Pond Park, Tortilla Republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:16