We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Topic
Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

Our bags are packed and we are ready to go.... to Maui so not all bad.

Our last day on Kauai was rain most of the day.

Since we hadn't been yet, and since it was the last day we took the chance and went North to the Kalalau Trail hoping it would be open. It rained almost the entire way, and was raining lightly when we arrived but the trail was open so we decided to give a try.

Grabbed some good walking sticks at the base and up we went. We made it about 1/2 mile before I decided I had had enough. It was wet, a little slick and still raining. So down we went. Glad we got to do some of it at least. Next time hoping for better weather.

We took a walk on Ke'e Beach and enjoyed the views of the coast from there. It was still raining so we decided to leave.

We were pretty soggy so we decided to head back to a fairly reliable sunny spot and headed back to Poipu.

Traffic was insane! Took over 2 hours to make our way back.

We had lunch at the Kauai Food Truck in Koloa. Was yummy - and was dry and sunny.

Then we decided to walk the Mahaulepu Coastal Hike. We found the dirt road (if you really want to call it a road - wasn;t sure we would make it) and I think we passed were we should have turned and wound up by this gorgeous quiet sunny cove beach. I hung there and watched kite surfers and DH did some hiking. Said the views were fabulous.

When it started to rain again we called it a day. I went back to the condo and DH did some snorkeling in a cove near us.

Tonight we went to Hanapepe Art Night. Was neat to see all the galleries, had dinner at a food truck and came back to pack.

Was a wonderful time and can't wait to come back again and do all the things we were not able to do this time. Will definitely be for longer next time.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

Yep, due to all of the warnings that we had for rain Erica called her hiking budies the previous night and they cancelled the planned hike up in Koke'e, and we pretty much took it easy.

Erica is getting cabin fever, even tho we have been hiking the paved paths up at Kauai Lagoons now that it is sunny agian. Since the rain has gone bye bye, and our trials are drying out all over the island, I believe in a few days, we will be out in the green lush country side away from the concrete.

For other folks headed this way, and planning on hiking FYI: the hanakapiai trail, the first two miles of the Kalalau is extremely dangerous in wet and muddy conditions, so it might be a good plan not to drive up there and go on that trail especially when it is raining. There are many injuries with sprained and broken ankles, and broken shoulders, and emergeny personnel hauling the visitors out of there, and I am just talking about the trail or the rocky beach.

The number of people rescued up there , inclunding by helicopter in the last few weeks, including 12 just this previous weekend is up to 67. This is just to let others coming over during the winter understand about wet conditions on any of our trails.

DP have a marvelous time over on maui. If you are staying in West Maui, you should be close to some very nice snorkeling . we really liked Kahekili Beach at Kanapali. It is listed in the Maui Revealed book. In addition to the beach and snorkeling there is a nice paved beach path for leg stretching and views.

This weekend , there was a NWS advisory for our islands of High Surf, and Strong Currents, so do be aware of that. This time of year, that would be the north shores and possible wrap arounds, so be advised.

Have a great time.

DP, thanks for the info on the food truck in koloa town. The other day we were at the Feral Pig for a cup of bowl of their warming clam chowder, and met the owner of the food truck. Sounds good to us, so the plan for tonigh, saturday the 30th is to eat there about 4 pm. Glad that you all posted on that since we have not heard much about it. You absolutely re enforeced or decision. After dnner, we are headed over to Tortilla Republic .

Also, if you wish to hike Maha;uplepu, and do not wish to start at the Hyatt, you can drive on the cane haul road, to Gillens . It can be a bit confusing but the UKG has a map and directions. Not sure where our adventurous DP wound up, but it may have been Kauailoa Bay, which is on the end of Maha'ulepu Beach, and you can stroll from there back along the beach back to gillens and the stream at the oposite end.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 15:58
California
Level Contributor
37,626 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

<<Traffic was insane! Took over 2 hours to make our way back.>>

There were warnings on KONG radio all day about the traffic. They recommended that anyone not needing to go into Lihue, shouldn't. There was a traffic light out of commission and a mud clean up from the storm. My recommendation to others visiting the island is to put this radio station on in your car as soon as you rent it. Its 93.5.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

Denny- Thanks for the Maui snorkeling info - enjoy the food truck and have a margarita for me at Tortilla Republic!

Jebett - We did hear the warnings, but by that time we were well on the way North, and had no choice if we wanted to get back.

california
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

<<<It rained almost the entire way, and was raining lightly when we arrived but the trail was open so we decided to give a try.>>>

I am amazed you would still brave it, after all the recent issues here...

glad you made it out in one piece! Have fun on Maui!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

Thanks for posting. Come back soon and pick a different month. Of course, today is beautiful.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

It's a shame you didn't get to see Kauai in all it's glory when the entire island is sunny. March was quite dry until the last week or so. Great excuse to go back and hopefully enjoy it in the Sunshine!

Enjoy Mauai!

Sally

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

Fortunately we only had the one rainy day.

Got to Maui this am and it was pouring! But by 3 or so it cleared up.

Hoping for sun the rest of the week.

We will be back to Kauai.

8. Re: Last Day - Kalalau Trail, Mahaulepu, Hanapepe and RAIN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 05:15