We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars with racks for surf/SUP boards

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Rental Cars with racks for surf/SUP boards

Hi all,

My wife and I are headed to Kauai at the end of April. She is looking to bring a couple of surfboards and a SUP board. She doesn't want to rent.

My question is do any of the rental car companies offer roof racks to carry 2-3 boards?

Thanks

Scott

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cars with racks for surf/SUP boards

My advice is to buy your own soft roof rack and bring it with you.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cars with racks for surf/SUP boards

I've certainly seen people with rental cars and racks. You might want to give Alamo a call. Call the Kauai location directly.

It is quite expensive to bring extra luggage (and boards are considered baggage) so you might want to weigh the pros and cons.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cars with racks for surf/SUP boards

Living in Huntington Beach, Ca., Before Erica and I moved over to kauai, my bunkie would take his boards over to Oahu each year to surf and go to the NFL pro bowl. To save some bucks, he started putting his short board into the same carrying cover as his long board. If I remember correctly the short board was in its protective cover as well.

If you use Jbetts idea, you could probably put those soft straps into the protective carrying cover that you use for the board.

The idea of calling the local number for the Lihue car rental agency also sounds like a good idea.

If you wish, I can give him a call, and ask him how he transported his boards on his rental car.

You all will make it work.

Denny

Edited: 31 March 2013, 16:04
4. Re: Rental Cars with racks for surf/SUP boards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 05:16