We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Sundown boat tour

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Captain Sundown boat tour

OK, call me a wimp, I really want to take a boat tour with Captain Sundown but am worried about rough seas on the way back. I am not prone to motion sickness, however, the thought of being "stuck" on a boat for 6 hours in rough seas is a little daunting. I think my anxiety would get me before motion sickness would. I was thinking of taking the 3 hour sunset trip but know there is a better chance of seeing dolphins in the AM. Captain Sundown describes the ride back like white water rafting. Has anyone taken either or both trips to be able to compare? Is the ride back like being on a roller coaster for 2-3 hours?! We are going the 2nd week in May. Thank you!

Na Pali Catamaran
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Blue Ocean Adventure Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Kauai By Stephanie
River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Helicopter Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
East Coast
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Sundown boat tour

Took this trip a few yrs ago as well as rigid hull years earlier.

No Dolphins, slight rain which created many many rainbows even double ones. I felt fine but took bonine. DW did not and felt queasy on the return. You should arrive back in Hanalei as the sun is setting.

The roller coaster is for real on the rigid hull raft but you are holding on to a small rope so as not to be thrown. To be honest the Capt will only turn it on if everyone is willing. we had a wilder bunch and were zipping all over even in and out of several caves. You are too low to get a good look at dolphins. We saw dolphins on a regular catamaran trip though.

They are all good but Capt Sundown is my favorite of 5 or 6 I have taken. This was in May.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 04:45
Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Sundown boat tour

I've been on the Capt. Sundown catamaran trips several times and really enjoyed the trips, but we didn't have rough water those trips. Also, I'm not prone to seasickness. However, my nephew is, and on this last trip we went to the Na Pali from the south in February in some pretty rough seas. We took 1/2 a Bonine tablet the night before (to get it in your system) and 1/2 right before the trip. Then we bought sea bands for him at the catamaran office.

My nephew rode up front on the trampoline most of the way, where he got bounced around and had the time of his life. He never felt seasick. I think if you prepare right you can just enjoy it for the fun ride it is and you'll be fine.

The crews do a great job of watching out for you and what you need. Try the Bonine and sea bands and I bet you'll have a fantastic time. The Na Pali coast is stunning and the morning is the calmest time to go.

3. Re: Captain Sundown boat tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 06:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question