We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

Hi,

We are coming to Kauai for a week (7 nights 8 days) and staying at Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach for the first five nights. We aren't planning to book accommodations in advance for the last two nights. Is that going to be okay? We just want to get used to the Island the first five days and then stay where we fancy on the last two days. We also thought maybe about just driving around the Island the last two days, though I expect we will have already explored quite a bit the first five days.

Wondering about the weather the first week of June - hot, cold, mild? Lots of rain?

Also, does anyone have a good site for moon cycles in Kauai? I expect we are missing the full moon but I wanted to check.

Also everyone keeps talking about the free things to do and that appeals to us quite a lot as we are on a budget. We have a kitchen and prefer casual dining/food trucks over fancy sit down meals. Can we enjoy a sunset meal without going to one of the very expensive places like the Beach House? I suppose we could just pack a picnic.

I keep hearing about snorkeling, but has anyone been scuba diving in Kauai?

Thank you very much for all of your information.

Kind regards,

Kate

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,051 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,916 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

I would not wait to book your accomodations the last few days until you are on island. June is busy and you may have trouble finding availability where you would want to stay if you wait until the last minute, plus prices may be higher at the last minute. I think it would be much less stressful to book accomodations ahead of time.

I agree that you don't need a planned itinerary your last two days and you can wait and see what you want to do and see on those days, but I think you'll feel much more comfortable and have less stress knowing you have a place to lay your head at night by booking ahead. Also if you book ahead , you won't have to take time away from your. sightseeing, etc. while on island to figure out where you're going to stay.

If you can give a nightly budget people will help give you ideas for where to stay the last two nights.

As far as weather, check the top questions to the right of the page, there is a link with many different weather sites where you can check averages for each month. We went first week in June and it was beautiful weather low to mid 80s every day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

Thank you very much.

We are flexible for where we stay on the Island for the last two nights and would love suggestions for an area to stay in. We are at Poipu Beach for the first five nights.

Our budget is $200.00 a night. Could go up to $250.00 for the right place. But we are also comfortable at a very basic accommodation. Just want to stay in the best area to maximize our experience over the week.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,916 Reviews
Kauai, HI
california
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

We will be there in June as well, 18-26, and I am very much looking forward to a big full moon on the 23rd!

It's supposed to be very nice! The moon that is, not sure about the weather but I'm sure that will be good, too.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,999 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

Aloha from Kaua'i!

June here is summertime....the weather is beautiful, the temps warm.

It is also one of the busiest times of the year, once school is out on the mainland, tons of families come over with their children, so resorts, etc. are all really at high occupancy.

No one can guarantee you good weather, but during the summer here it is......well, "summer weather"! You might get passing trade showers that come and go within a few minutes, but more than likely that will be about it.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

If you can find somewhere to stay on the northshore for those last two days, that would be really great. :) I would book that as soon as you can.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

We travel to Kauai in June and stay in Poipu. The last several years, we have packed up and spent 2-3 nights in Haena at the Hanalei Colony Resort. We really love the contrast from Poipu to Haena and it's a nice way to cap off the vacation. We're doing something different this year, staying at HBR over the 4th but you might check out HCR. I'm pretty sure you can get a garden view for $250/night (you might want to call and see if you can get a discount off their rack rates) and the complex sits right on the ocean and very close to Tunnels and Ke'e Beaches.

www.hcr.com

Edited: 12 April 2013, 20:09
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Colony Resort
Hanalei Colony Resort
603 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Ke'e Beach
Ke'e Beach
618 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

p.s. The weather in June is usually perfect. We did get alittle bit more rain than usual in June 2011 and it was a bit colder than usual in June 2012.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,095 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

You can make a calendar with moon phases and moonrise/moonset times:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/Hawaii.asp

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

Scuba is a popular activity here though it's not a world class location.

Put "scuba" into the search function and you'll find older threads on the subject.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather & Full Moon in June 2013 and other questions

June is high season. I wouldn't wait to book my second lodging unless my budget were absolutely unlimited.