We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Might be an odd question but which is the best side of the plane to ride on for the best view coming into LIH? We will be landing at 5pm on Monday!!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Depends on where you're coming in from. If it's from Honolulu then sit on your right side (as you're walking down the aisle towards your seat).

If you're talking about a nonstop from the mainland it can depend on which mainland city you're flying out of and how far north or south it is on the mainland.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 04:55
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

p.s. Not an odd question, it's asked all the time

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Left side. (Port side; the plane's left, your left when facing forward.) Unless we're having Kona winds the planes approach below Kipu Kai and land to the north.

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Cool. We are coming from LAX so it sounds like the left side of the plane...sounds good!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

If you are interested mainly in seeing the views coming into LIH, absolutely on the left side . The aircraft all fly over the ocean and make the same approach to the same runway. I think napa may have had seeing the neighbor islands passing by if you were non stop from the mainland and the right side in that case.

You asked about Lihue Airport. Your view is going to be short lived, but the left side will give you better views. You will first piick up the Ha'upu and Kipu mountain ranges and the coastline leading to Maha'ulepu, the Hyatt and Poipu areas and beyond.

Then Nawiliwili harbor and the Lihue marriot and kauai lagoons, and squeek , you have landed.

The views will be passing very quickly, so dont blink.

Have fun.

Denny

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Thanks Denny. Really appreciate that.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Just so we haven't confused you, the responses you've gotten are the same side of the plane. When I said right side it was from the perspective of walking down the aisle towards your seat.

So, Your right side when you're walking down the aisle of the plane towards your seat. Your left side if you're seated and facing the cockpit. All the same. This is if flying from HNL. You'll see the Haupu Range looming right out the window before you land. It's a marvelous sight.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 18:16
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Assuming that the plane is coming in from the direction they normally do (sometimes they change due to weather/traffic conditions).....the left side of the plane would be correct.

Here is a view that you will get of the coastline around Mt. Ha'upu with Nawiliwili Bay in the background (that you will fly directly by also)......

tripsister.com/uploaded_images/nawiliwili-ba…

No matter where I am coming from....always happy to see this view as it means I'm home!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

I'd wave from our condo but we leave Monday morning.....have a great time!

10. Re: Flying Into LIH- Best View From?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 05:18