We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

denville, nj
Level Contributor
712 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

Next to last day, Friday woke up ate a leisurely breakfast of yogurt and fruit. Love the guava Then off to mail stuff back to the mainland. After that went up to Kilauea Lighthouse for a while. Just enjoyed the views, and visited" our brick" that we bought 6 years ago. Stopped at Common Ground for lunch, figured a light salad. The arugula ,goat cheese, cranberry and walnut was delicious , and enough for leftover for dinner. Then off to the Anahola market for the pineapple bread. You're right Jebett, yumm

Back to the hotel and hung around the pool for a little, came back , cleaned up and took a walk around the grounds, maybe 10 minutes. Here's the surprise. When I returned my shoes had been stolen from outside the condo door!! Had left them there all week, and for the past 14 years have had no problem, with shoes outside the door, I thought they were exempt from the "watch your belongings at all times rule". Thank goodness I was wearing my flip flops or I would have been barefoot. Since I can't walk long distances(read HNL and EWR) in flip flops I went to Kukui Grove to buy sneakers. Not an easy task when I need a 9 wide !! But , after a scenic tour of the shopping center I am now the proud owner of THE WHITEST sneakers I have ever seen.

Tried to get them dirty in the rain and mud today but no luck. They're like a beacon.

Came back and caught part of the hula show at Coconut Grove, then had leftover salad, and soup for dinner and went to the Malama Pono benefit at the Hukilau. Very nice evening, "Kauai sings Rodgers and Hammerstein" My dad was very involved with local theater in NJ and so I grew up on those songs.

Today I took a long last soak in the jacuzzi and then packed up. Of course it started to pour as I was leaving the condo, so I improvised luggage covers and a raincoat from the garbage bags I had bought. Not too stylish but they did the job.

Now comes the funny (in retrospect) story. Pulled into Costco to gas up the rental car. Rain is wind whipped, really nasty, and what do I do? Stick my membership card in the receipt slot. All I can say in defense of my stupidity is that we don't have self serve in NJ(actually it's not allowed), so this is a very occasional thing for me. Immediately after inserting it(hey, there was an arrow pointing in lol) I realized my error. The attendant very nicely opened the machine , got my card back and was very tolerant, A big Mahalo to him.

No further adventures, except I forgot to get a Right Slice pie, will have to wait for next trip. Ate a delicious traditional last meal at Duke's, Kalua pork sandwich and Hula pie. No I didn't finish the entire thing! Got my interisland flight without problems and now have a 4-5 hour wait for my delayed flight to Newark. But hey, it's in Hawaii so what's bad?

Can't wait to come back and spend more time in my favorite place. I always dreamed of owning a piece of Kauai , and thought the brick at Kilauea would be it. Ya never know.

As a final piece of good luck, the mileage upgrade seats in business first were further upgraded to lie flat when they changed planes. Ah to sleep perchance to dream , of Kauai of course.

Just a side story, which I don't think I wrote before. Last fall when my sister and I were here we stopped at the Anahola market and I bought some earrings from Katherine who had a booth there. We were sitting eating our boar and she came over and offered my sister a pineapple that her husband (I think)had just woven from fronds.. We had said nothing to her about the fact that my sister had just lost everything except the structure of her house in superstorm Sandy . Somehow she just knew my sister needed a lift. She had had a basket from a previous trip which was lost in the storm. I've been holding the pineapple since then and now that she and her son are finally back in the house as of Easter. I'm going to bring it down to her. Some people just sense things I guess. When I saw Katherine this time and told her ,she had remembered and was glad for the follow up. Another reason to love Kauai.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

Your shoes were stolen? That is a first!!!

When are you coming back? I know its such a long journey but your condo will be calling your name. I hope we are there at the same time. I can't wait to see your island home and share a slice of right slice with you.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

Hope you had a safe journey home and will return to your new island home soon. Wow, the shoe thing is really low. Glad things are looking up for your sister.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I can't believe someone stole your shoes! That is truly the first time I've heard of that happening here myself.....they must've been some nice ones! Sorry that had to happen to you...you'll have to get your new ones all dirty from our red dirt....then you'll feel better!

Malama Pono,

Janet

denville, nj
Level Contributor
712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

Thanks for confirming my thoughts that shoe theft is an anomaly. Actually they weren't even that nice, year old dirty, grey running shoes. Oh well..

I definitely will be back in October, hoping for either June or July also. have to arrange vacations. Definitely the property will be open for "Viewing" , and multiple slices of pie. LOL

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,261 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

Safe travels to the old home . . . glad you shared with us - wonderful reporting! :)

Edited: 15 April 2013, 21:42
6. Re: Return to Kauai last 2 days and a surprise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 05:17