We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I arrived today, too!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
I arrived today, too!

After ticking all the boxes on the 'to do' list, hubby & I drove to the airport at 2pm yesterday. Check in all good. Boarded our Jetstar flight & it left bang on 6pm as per schedule. No seat allocation issues this time. Flight was uneventful except the 50 mins of lumpy turbulence as we left Sydney, delaying dinner. The food was palatable , which was a nice suprise. The flight landed bang on 7:07 am which the pilot had predicted.

We collected bags at 7:40, having cleared customs fast. Now. For those getting connections. The was no transfer desk in operation. But...if we had flown from Aus on Hawaiian & were tagged through to Kauai , the guy would take the bags for us.

So. We took our bags n walked across to the inter island terminal & up to 2nd level for departures. Joined the service desk line & got our flight changed to next available. We Did have to pay $17 bag check in fee. Security screening wasn't too bad & we were at gate 59 by 8:20 am. The sun was starting to break thru the grey stuff. Flight left shortly after, landing Lihue at abt 9:05.

Got the car at Alamo & left promptly after having to remind them the car stars with a key. Hmmm.

Traffic was light to match the rain at that point , & we arrived Grand Hyatt by 10. Of course no room ready so they gave us a pager & we went for a much needed wake up coffee. Hubby managed 4 hours sleep on the plane unlike me who got Nothing! Pretty nackered. At this point a t-storm kicked in so we watched the rain from the terrace. Didn't have to wait long for the buzzer to go off. A much needed shower was the order of the day before driving along to the shops for a wander & then drove to Koloa for a look around. The rain got Heavy again so we returned to the hotel, found the pool bar & had our first Mai tai of the trip along with a snack.

An afternoon nap was needed badly. Room is nice enough, overlooking the adult pool. Hotel overall, lovely. Staff very welcoming.

We have finished our first day with an anniversary dinner at Tidepools. Not cheap but it was good. Best meal in a long while.

Walked the gardens after, before retiring to our room for champagne, kindly supplied by the hotel. Nice gesture.

Hoping the rainis less obvious tomorrow so we can do more.

First impression of the island? Rural. Green. Can't wait to get seeing things!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,798 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I arrived today, too!

E kipa mai! Welcome!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I arrived today, too!

Enjoy paradise.....

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I arrived today, too!

Glad you have arrived safely!!! Enjoy your trip.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,890 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I arrived today, too!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Did you go to the torchlighting ceremony or the keiki hula show (both free) at Seaview Terrace (Grand Hyatt) by chance?

I work as narrator for the torchlighting ceremony.....lots of people there tonite....despite the rain!

Have fun....raining now, but who knows for tomorrow!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I arrived today, too!

You made a stormy day into a good one! Welcome and enjoy!

Texas
Level Contributor
852 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I arrived today, too!

So glad you are here, too! I think you have a longer trip than we do?

Hope you enjoy the Hyatt. We will be there on Wednesday. Is that the day you leave?

We are in the Kapaa area now--still rainy here today!

Enjoy exploring today.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I arrived today, too!

Janet, we didn't. We did see the guys running round lighting them tho, as we sat having dinner.

Jetty, we leave Wednesday for Waikiki.

We r up already thanks to loud birds outside at 5:45 lol. Skies don't look as unwelcoming as yesterday's so hopefully I can break out the SPF 30 :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,890 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I arrived today, too!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

In case you are interested, the free torchlighting ceremony that includes hula kahiko (ancient hula) and oli (chant) is done at Seaview Terrace 3 nights a week....Tuesday, Friday and Saturday at 6:30pm....free. On Tuesday and Saturday nights, it is followed by a free keiki hula show from 7 to 8pm (same location) and features young dancers from a local halau hula (hula school) performing Hawaiian, Tahitian and Maori dance.

Maybe I'll see you later in the week.....have a great time at the Hyatt.....it is a wonderful property!

Malama Pono,

Janet

9. Re: I arrived today, too!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 05:17