We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

basquemomof2
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

Has anyone done this tour? Would you recommend? Are there other boat tours that might be better? We are hoping to see whales, dolphins and get some sun and snorkeling in. Since it is the end of whale season I was wondering if anyone has done a whale watching tour in the last week or so? Good still? We have a group of 15 going with ages from 4 to 79. So, it cant be the raft trip (which I have done and LOVED!). Mahalo!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

I did this trip in 2009. I loved it. We saw dolphins (but no whales since it was in September). The snorkeling spot was really blah but the crew, the sailing and the view of the NaPali coast was outstanding.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

Just be aware that the snorkeling is really rather incidental to the views of the Na Pali coast. You're likely to see dolphins. The best snorkeling here is right off the beach.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

We took Captain Andy's sunset tour in 2008 with my children (youngest was 6) and my 80 year old mother. We had a fantastic time and the captain and crew were extremely professional and helpful. We did see a lot of dolphins (no whales since we went in June).

basquemomof2
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

Is the snorkeling at least decent? I have snorkeled at Tunnels in prior trips and liked it. I will be with people who have never snorkeled before so this would be their first time. Was the food good? I am also considering the Sailing tour that is a deli lunch rather than BBQ. My grandmother who is a fragile 79 will be with us - is there a good viewing spot to sit and be comfortable?

Thank you!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

It would be a really good idea to have the newbies learn and practice in shallow water before attempting the deep ocean, which can really freak someone out. They need to know how to adjust and clear their mask and snorkel.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

Personally I wouldn't even call it decent, and particularly not so to a beginning. The water wasn't clear and it was a pretty deep reef (I don't have a problem diving down 35ft or so but beginnings will not be able to.)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

I agree. If someone has never snorkeled before, have them go in off the beach where they can touch bottom and go at their own pace. Some people get nervous and breath shallowly, which makes things worse when they're breathing through a snorkel. Plus they can practice putting their mask on so it doesn't leak, etc.

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

We just returned last week after our 10 day visit. We had booked a Napali tour on the Southern Star on April 2 but because of 16 ft swells, the tour was changed-we ended up cruising along the south shore. They gave us the option of rebooking or the south coast tour or refunding the full cost of the tour. We chose the tour and were not disappointed! Saw plenty of dolphins, saw many whales and saw turtles at the snorkeling spot. We are beginner snorkelers so can't comment on how it compares to other spots.

The Southern Star is a very comfortable boat and the crew is very accomodating! Overall we had a great morning! We would certainly book with Capt. Andy's again! Hopefully in the summertime when the Napali coast is more cooperative!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

With a group of 15 you should be able to negotiate a group rate. Maybe you've already. If not, also give a call to Blue Dolphin and HoloHolo, the other larger operators out of Port Allen with same size of catamaran and same script as Captain Andy's. I've heard of group discounts being given by at least one of them.

Tracy, California
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Captain Andy's NaPali Snorkel BBQ Sail?

We went yesterday (not on Capt Andy's) and yes, whales! We were on the sunset cruise. We had a few nice breeches, and saw groups totaling probably 15 or more whales. No large pods as the crew explained are more common in jan-feb-march. Right before sunset we had a mother + calf within 100 yards of the boat, really neat.

We had a few spinner dolphins jumping at one point, but not plentiful during the sunset cruises, we learned. Weather is in transition, and we lucked out and had very calm seas almost the whole way, just a few waves when we got to the north coast with a swell coming up.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 21:13