We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Resorts

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Resorts

has anyone stayed in the marriott beach resort near the airport? We are planning a trip late June into July. We want great beach, helicopter tour and a little hiking and ziplining. We will be renting a car to explore in. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
36,656 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Resorts

Yes I have stayed there a few times. Its a nice high rise hotel on Kalapaki Bay. Not my favorite beach (not very clear like the ocean) but lots of activities going on. You can rent surf boards right there and the cruise folks walk over from the ship when in port to enjoy the beach. The pool at the hotel is over the top. It reminds me of Hearst Castle's pool. The rooms are comfortable. Its next door to Duke's Restaurant which is a favorite place of mine to have dinner. You will be a 5 minute drive to the airport, farther to zipline (there are a few locations) and for hiking information check the top questions on the right of your post.

If you are looking for a resort in this location of the island, its the best one to me.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Resorts

The Marriott Beach Resort in Lihue is great, but I'd probably rather be either North or South as opposed to Lihue.

In the south you have Poipu with the Sheraton, Marriott Waiohai and Grand Hyatt. Your $250 budget would probably also get you a one bedroom condo in Poipu Kapili or Kiahuna Plantation.

In the North, your hotel options are more limited, but a condo at the Hanalei Bay Resort or Westin would be nice too. My only knock on Princeville where these are is that there are limited beach options.

I'd also check the Parrish Collection for the North.

parrishkauai.com/north-shore-kauai-vacation-…

And Kauai Revealed is a great resource too.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

Edited: 18 April 2013, 16:42
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Resorts

The Marriott Kauai Beach Resort is a great place. Have stayed there a few times for just one or two nights each time. If I needed to look for a resort hotel for multiple nights it would be at the top of my list.

Some buildings are timeshare, some are mixed timeshare / hotel but the Ha'upu wing is all hotel rooms and it's the best area to be, imo. Request a higher room and closest to the beach end you can get. You'll have fabulous views of the bay, the hills behind it. Your view will bypass other Marriott buildings and feel more open. This area is furthest from the check-in desk but well worth the walk. The bonus is it has a smaller parking lot right on the backside of it (don't worry, no rooms face the parking lot, all of the lanais are inward).

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Resorts

I've stayed there; it was very nice. Great pool, nice beach, restaurants and shops in walking distance. Close to the airport, but I never heard planes.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Resorts

First of all you picked a great place to stay.......I am sure that you searched the Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach on the web.

You will have a beautiful beach, coco palms, shade trees, manicured green grass, water sports of all kinds, a fantastic pool that circles a small island, with 5 sort of secluded jacuzzi.

What can you do on property: Plenty of beach loungers, bar and food service delivered to you on your lounger as you soak up the sunshine.

On the beach , which is really, really nice, you have boogie boarding and body surfing on the left side, swimming all along the beach, then stand up paddle boarding, and surfing right there.

They have several on site restaurants and bars, Dukes Canoe Club ( downstairs), Dukes dining room ( upstairs), Portifino ( Italilan), Kukui's that opens at 5pm next to the pool, and Kalapaki Grille outdoor tiki bar and grille overlooking the pool, beach and ocean. All have pool, or beach and ocean views.

No drving is requried.

Just off property there are several different additional restaruants and bars that you can walk to , as well as shopping.

Two helo companies are a very short walk......Sunshine in the Anchor Mall, and Blue Hawaiian in the Harbor Mall across the road. And, I mean short walks.

You can also do a very lovely hike/walk up to the golf course, and on around Kauai Lagoons, that is like a picture out of the south pacific. Very easy and just feels good, all nicely kept up.

Super friendly people, all the diferent staff, as well as the visitors.

There is not much in snorkeling, so if that is a daily priority you would need to drive to poipu or lawai beach in poipu, about 20 plus minutes.

You are at mile ZERO....so you are pretty much centrally located. Much better than Kapa'a.

So, you can easily visit the other shores at your lesiure.

The Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach is a very, very nice property, all recently re modled. Pretty nice, with lots of good feelings and friendliness.

As to zip lining, again no driving. Next to you is Anchor Cove.....the last buidling toward the park is a great and fun zip lining company called Just Live.......these folks are super and have different zips and adventures tailored to differnt individuals. You can search them on the web also.

So, you have your helo tours and your zip lining office...and they drive you to the airport, ot out in the country in their vans. No need to drive yourself.

Just wanted to make you aware, and with the info you can find on the computer, you should have a pretty good idea of what you are going to experience.

We are not visitors, but we walk to kalapaki beach and the marriot and up to hike the lagoons almost every day now for seven years, so we have a pretty good idea of the property. We like, and every day feels good.

Denny

Edited: 18 April 2013, 21:01
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Resorts

There are hundreds of reviews here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60623-d114035-…

lots more info in there than in the forum.

As for things to see/do -- check the top questions threads on the right hand side or stick "top ten" into the search box for lists of people's favorite things to do.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai Resorts

thank you so much for all of the information!!! Denny, i may ask you more questions since you are right there. Thanks again.

8. Re: Kauai Resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 06:16