We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

This summer we are planning to do the canyon on our first morning...want to get there early to avoid all the crowds, but won't have groceries for breakfast because we are getting there late the night before. We are staying at Poipu Kapilli..

Saying we don't want to backtrack at all, where are some good breakfast places to go to that will be open early since I know we will be up early?

Also...in Kokee State Park...what is the furthest overlook we can/should drive to?

California
Level Contributor
9,563 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Kalaheo Cafe is very good; it opens at 6:30.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

I've never encountered "crowds" at the Waimea canyon. There is a good breakfast place "Poipu Tropical burgers" in the Poipu shopping village.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Highly recommend Grinds Cafe in Eleele. The breakfast skillets are great. Menu, hours, and directions here:

www.grindscafe.net

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Grinds in ‘Ele‘ele - they open at 5:30...the skillets are really good and they have fresh baked items.

http://www.grindscafe.net/

Yumi's in Waimea...just a few tables, I think they open at 7:00am, get a couple of their famous coconut pies to go - it's more like a big turnover.

Edit - Barbara and I think alike!

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 20 April 2013, 16:43
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

I'm with 22kauai - would definitely suggest Kalaheo Café and Coffee. Terrific food with quick service. Right on the highway on your way to the Canyon. Wonderful in-house baking there as well.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Thanks! Sounds good!! And there are definitely crowds when those buses get there! Last year we timed it perfectly- we were just leaving as the first 2 buses arrived.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Highly recommend Kalaheo Cafe. Excellent food and ambiance. I must be in the minority here about Grind's. Had breakfast there one time and never again. Heaping mound of greasy food, seemed like leftovers from the day before and just reheated. We left without finishing and declined their offer for styrofoam to take it with us. Yes, it was only one time but it was enough for me.

Don't worry about crowds at the canyon. Don't think I've ever seen more than one bus there at a time. There's enough vista and blue sky for everyone.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 18:10
Texas
Level Contributor
847 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Kalaheo Cafe is very good and it's on your way.

I agree--early is better at the Canyon!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Waimea Canyon usually gets clouded over as the morning goes on (usually, but not always)....it is better to try to get up there prior to 10am and your chances of a clear sky at the various lookouts will be much better!

Also, yes, the buses that take large groups of people up there do start chugging up there around then as well, and while they may not make a "crowd" that is huge, sitting behind a diesel spewing bus on the winding road up to the Canyon (not a lot of places to pass, if any!) are another reason to try to avoid them.

The farthest overlook you can drive to is the Pu'u O Kila overlook....this is the one that looks down into Kalalau Valley and beach.....worth the extra little drive for sure!

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/82/83/66/f…

Unless you don't mind getting up there late, personally I'd leave early, and grab a breakfast bento go to at either Ishihara Market deli (these are pre made) in Waimea or Salt Pond Country Store (their loco moco bentos are great!) in Hanapepe.....and eat it at one of the beautiful spots along the way.

I go up to Waimea Canyon just about every Sunday (hubby runs up there from Kekaha) and we are never up there later than 7:30am or so.....it is almost always clear and beautiful! And those breakfast bentos are the way to go unless you need to sit down and have a restaurant meal.....since most places don't open until at least 7pm for breakfast of this type (although Kalaheo Coffee and Cafe opens at 6:30am)......my priority would be in going to the canyon and getting the best view, not breakfast....but that is just me!

I've seen the popular viewpoints to the Canyon when the buses disgorge their passengers, and no, I would not want to be there at that time personally.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast on way to Waimea Canyon

I agree with Janet...get to the Canyon as early as possible. We stopped for breakfast once at Kalaheo Cafe once on route to the Canyon. The breakfast took a little longer than we anticipated. When we arrived at Waimea Canyon the clouds had just rolled in.

We always try to arrive by 8:30.

Enjoy!