We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
587 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

Hi all.

My wife and I are in our 20's and planning a 6-night stay in Kauai in October. I've been looking at DiscountHawaiiCarRental and there are so many car types to choose from.

The Jeep Wrangler certainly seems interesting, but is it just a cliché? I see all those pictures of the ever happy couple with their surf boards (we don't surf, but you get the point), parking the car on a rocky beach and spending a beautiful day with snacks and drinks... makes you think their day was saved by the Jeep.

Right, so do we really need to pay twice the rate of an economy car? If all the driving will be on asphalt, is the Jeep useless? We love secluded beaches, by the way. We would also love to get the Jeep, but only if there's actually something to do with it. Our interests are hiking, beaches, snorkeling where possible and scenic drives just for the fun of driving.

By the way, I consider myself a pretty decent driver. I drove in all kinds of conditions and roads in Europe, North America and the Caribbean. I'm not anxious about driving in another country :)

Off-topic question : what are Brand C and Brand X on DHCR website?

Aero.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 04:48
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,618 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

Yes, the Jeep Wrangler is a cliche and screams TOURIST!!! You don't need it. You can't off-road anyway. Just rent what will fit you and your luggage, and what you're comfortable driving. Small is good. Gas is expensive here.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

I posted this before on another thread, get a convertible. We got a Mustang and I would have it no other way. With the scenic driving you will have a much better view and the sights and sounds are fabulous. You will do yourself a favor by getting it. Gas mileage has been great as well. Currently sitting at half a tank and 215 miles. It has a 16 gallon tank so that puts mileage at roughly 27 mpg. Being able to drive down the tree tunnel today with the top down and see it in all its glory was great.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,279 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

To be honest...save the money and rent a car. Jeeps are uncomfortable to begin with and you spend too much time dashing in and out with putting the top up to avoid rain showers. Just go with something cheaper. Sorry I've used DHCR for years but can't give you the Brand thing. We've been pleased with our rentals

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

If you want a jeep get a jeep, but you don't really need one on the island, it DOES scream tourist (as do convertibles) but its always fun to rent something you don't have at home. If you want to save money and not worry about your valuables, a compact will do!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

Very common question. If you want chapter and verse, stick "jeep" in the search function. And yes, the Jeep is a cliche. At least with the other "screams of tourist" choice (a convertible) you get something more for your buck than a rough ride. But what the h----, you're on vacation. If you want a Jeep, get one. It's not like a white sedan doesn't scream tourist just about as much. It's all a matter of personal preference to me.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

My understanding.....

For Discount Hawaii Car Rental my understanding is that Brand C is Thrifty.

For Brand X, the rental firm used may vary depending on type of car selected.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

A little more clarification on my previous post....

Possibly for Brand X, the car rental firm used varies depending on the lowest rate that DHCR can find at time of reservaton for the class of car selected.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

If you want to get a Jeep or a convertible get them but having watched a visitor couple renting in our complex take 35 minutes to put up the soft top on their jeep and seen friends stop by to say "Goodbye" with their luggage sticking up in the back seat of their convertible, I would rent the cheapest compact and spend the extra money on something else.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

As others have pointed out, there are no "secluded beaches" that you can get to with a Jeep. All of those beaches will require some amount of hiking from where you park and a Jeep won't get you any closer. If you're planning to go to Polihale or Mahaulepu a car with a decent ground clearance would be nice, but we've made it in a regular passenger car.

Southeast US
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rentals - Is the Jeep Wrangler just a cliché?

Regarding DHCR--all of the "brands" are well-known companies. My experience has been that we get confirmation directly from the rental company when we make the reservation. If for some reason you're not happy with the company, or find a better rate, you can cancel.

We've never reserved Wranglers but have ended up with them a couple of times for various reasons. I've found that they're novel and fun for about half an hour, then very uncomfortable for longer drives. We usually spend a fair amount of time in transit, so comfort does count!

We reserve the smallest, most economical car that will fit our group and our needs.