We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hanalei Beach?

Tulare, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Topic
Which Hanalei Beach?

Have a whole week this summer in the north and know very little about the different beaches on Hanalei Bay. Any paricular beach you like more than the others. We will be 4 adults and 2 kids.

8-11. Thanks.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,513 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

Well...3 main parking areas on the main part of Hanalei Bay. By the Pier, the main/middle one (forget what it is called) that has more buildings, and the Pines. During the summer, we found it to have more waves by the pines...so depending what you are looking for. We like it because it is big enough to spread out and feel like you have your own space.

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

Yes, Wai'oli Beach Park aka Pine Trees would be my choice. It's located at the end of either He'e or Ama'ama Roads.

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

If you want to be near Pat's Taqueria, go to Black Pot Beach, the area by the pier.

California
Level Contributor
37,447 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

I like Pine Trees too because on the weekends Black Pot is too crowded with locals and the parking of their trucks on the beach really bugs me.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,584 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

Just those in Hanalei? What about other northshore beaches? :)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

Starting with the one by the pier. This is called Black Pot Beach and at the far east end of the bay. More crowded than the others and the water isn't as clear due to river runoff right there.

The next down Weke Road, the middle of the bay is Pavilions Beach Park. This one is my favorite. Small parking lot, restrooms, showers, lifeguard. The sand is clean , wide and soft and the water is shallow for quite a ways out. Love it here.

The next one down, towards the west end is called Pine Trees or Wai'oli Beach Park. Water is a little rougher here so surfers tend to go here much more than Pavilions. More shade here but I don't find the sand or the facilities as nice as at Pavilions.

For all 3 of these just get over to Weke Road, which is the road that lines the bay.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

Personally I'd avoid black pot due to the nasty effluent from the river. Better to stay to the right of the pier IMO.

Or as Napa said, go from the Pavilion assuming you can find a place to park there.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,049 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

I prefer Pavilions.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

errr -- other right. Left of the pier.........

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hanalei Beach?

I know pier does not have great water but it has direct view of sun setting, the pier and more importantly people having fun.

I know we are trying to get away but I also want to get a sense of what locals do at beach

But it was fun watching kids practice surfing, a guy in a truck lighting up junk as fire at sunset, people building sand castles, pro photogs taking shots of sunsets and many other things going around you.