We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Month Countdown!!!

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Three Month Countdown!!!

Three months until our family of four arrives in Oahu!!! And five days later in Kauai! (for 8 days on the garden isle). I must admit I am addicted to this forum - try to read a little every night!

Mahalo to everyone for such great advice - the posts are more than you could ever get from a guide book...

Checklist is going great so far:

-Buying all the required trip and swimming items

-Making reservations for hotels and cars

-Obsessing over every detail

-Already pre-packed once

-Trying to brush up on good food spots

-Reading to the family about ocean safety and staying OFF the reefs

-Bought our first underwater camera

-Talking to everyone I know who has been to Hawaii

Can't think of too many questions at the moment, but I will throw out a couple:

1. What is the latest on the Hanalei Pier reconstruction?

2. Napali Boat question #2,045! I think us "newbies" to Kauai must re-think this decision so much that there should be a name for it, like: "Napali-tour-itis". We try to decide and pull the trigger, but then somehow get sucked back in to reading another 32 reviews of each boat, looking at trip photos, pouring over tour websites, etc. Ugh. Maybe a drug company could work on a magic green pill (for the pali's!) to cure us - I'm sure there would be multiple negative side effects, though!

Anyway....our current list (which has changed about 10 times) is down to two north coast tours: Napali Catamaran and Capt. Sundown. I can see pros and cons of both, and they both seem very highly rated. Family likes the idea of maybe a little bigger boat with a marine head and some shade, so they are leaning towards Sundown. I just want to leave from the north since we are staying on the east coast and I think a north coast departure in July could be great......given the conditions that day, of course. I also kind of like the idea of going in the caves.......

Aloha Kauai forum - have a great night. Can't wait to get there (and I hope to give back a little with a nice trip report!!!) OK, gotta go check my latest (about once a week) airline reservation change notice and see what they are doing to us now!!!

-Ted

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

Oh stop it! I had to cancel my Hawaiian trip because of illness and now waiting for the all clear to travel again ... so I read these forums to keep me updated.

I am just soooo jealous ..... and watch the Decsendants not only to see George of course, but the beautiful views of Kauai .... we just love that island.

You will too, and you will be back ... we all go back. So have fun! It's all over so quickly.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

We're five months out and my plan tomorrow is to organize my toiletries kit... wouldn't want to leave it 'til the last minute.

Eaglemaniac, I'm so sorry you had to cancel your trip. I hope you are on the mend and find yourself back on Kauai soon.

california
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

We are until 2 months out! I can't believe it's almost here...I love your enthusiasm!

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

Three month countdown for us. July 25th to August 15th. Not newbies, number 12 for us, but the anticipation never changes. In a few years time we'll be full time residents . The magic of Kauai is in our blood.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 07:55
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

In regard to Hanalei Pier construction, the roof trusses are installed and roofing material being installed over the trusses. During Hawaii daylight hours take a look at the following webcam:

http://www.balihai.com/Blog/kauai-hd-webcam/

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

Eaglemaniac-

Hope you can travel soon! Sorry you had to delay trip. I lived in Melbourne for 18 months, never made it to Perth but I hear it is a beautiful city!

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

Sorry Eaglemaniac. Hopefully you will get the all clear soon!

We are at 74 days out now for 2 weeks in Kauai and off to Maui for 2 more, our 6th trip to the islands since our first in 2009. Yes it's an obsession. I've never done either of those Napali Coast tours, but I honestly don't think you can go wrong. We have enjoyed every one we have been on with different companies.

Awesome that you are reading and talking about ocean safety as well as reef knowledge. Wish more people would do that!

Pack less :) And have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

No need to be sorry ... I am just jealous ... we had to cancel a 3-week Hawaiian holiday when I got sick .. so every day my sister asks me when we are going back.

I know you'll all have a great time ... I just wish I was in your suitcase!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

I love your enthusiasm Ted! We are five months from leaving for Oahu and Maui and just knowing the trip is planned makes me smile! Some people think that is a long wait, but I know how fast time flies, at my age! I wish I could plan 2014 soon and know when we will visit Kauai next, but we are hoping to include young adult kids in the travels and must wait to know their schedules.

Enjoy your pre-trip fun.......I remain packed because our summers lately have been so dismal I don't use my Hawaii clothes.......very sad! Smart to be checking your airplane reservations to avoid last minute surprises! Thanks for cheerful beginning to my morning today!!! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Month Countdown!!!

Kauailuvr, we will be flying over July 26. Just missed sharing a flight by one day.