We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 months on Kauai

Fairfield, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 months on Kauai

Very interested to spend July, August and September, 2013 on Kauai in a hotel environment with food options within walking distance, exercise on-site, on the beach for a quiet, relaxing extended stay. Budget is $100/day. Could go a little higher, but expect food costs to be additional $50/day. Single person traveling. Interested in the north end, but will be flexible to meet budget and experience Hawaii during this time. Would consider other islands to make it happen. Must be very comfortable hotel suite style setting. Not interested in meal prep/cooking. Should I consider a condo if restaurant options are nearby?

Looking for ideas on how to make this work. Will hotels work with me on pricing with an extended stay of this length?

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 months on Kauai

If you want the North Shore there aren't many hotels. The St Regis is VERY pricey. The Westin is way out of your ballpark, and MAYBE you can find a hotel room type place at Hanalei Bay Resort if you rent through a private owner but there is no restaurant on site. You budget is limiting your options.

The biggest problem you will have is finding a place open for that long. Those months in a condo are the most popular times of the year. Most condos are in Princeville and food options are scarce.

I would suggest finding something on VRBO or call a rental agent and have them to the legwork.

PS If you think $50 a day for food is realistic when dining out, think again. Kauai can be expensive. Rent something with a kitchen.

new york
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 months on Kauai

I think hotels will work with you . Check aqua hotel on the east side

new york
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 months on Kauai

$50 a day is doable but your going to have to go with inexpensive breakfast and lunches

LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 months on Kauai

And what about transportation? Kauai has little to no bus system.

Your daily food budget is so low you would have to grocery shop and prepare your own food. Or eat two small meals and no alcohol.

Exercise on site? On the beach? All that for $100 a night. Very very unrealistic.

Remember there is an accomodation tax of nearly 14%. So for $100 a night, you are looking at an $86 a night hotel room. That is the definition of a hostel, and I believe the hostels have a limit on the number of nights you can stay.

You don't have an adequate budget to accomplish what you want to do.

LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 months on Kauai

You need to consider Oahu, where there is a much larger variety of housing option, more cheap dining options, and public transportation.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 months on Kauai

There are inexpensive condos in the Princeville area - but then you would need to cook . . . as well, most of the nicest places on the cheap end book far in advance.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 months on Kauai

You'd have much more and better options on Maui. A budget of only $100 in a hotel suite type place on a beach is only going to be found on the east side and then it will still be hard to find one for $100 a day.

I know you say you don't want to do meal prep but is that realitstic when you're talking about a 3 month stay? You could get closer to your $100 budget but more than likely on the east shore. You'd have good food options there but beaches aren't so great and you'll probably drive to other parts of the island for that. On the northshore the only place that fits your description of having restaurants in walking distance and beaches is Hanalei but it's doubtful you'll find something there in your price range.

Check out Maui and / or ask on the Maui forum. You'd have many more places to pick from that are inexpensive, walking distance to good beaches, restaurants, shopping. In particular the Kihei area.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 months on Kauai

The only hotel I could think of that comes close to that list is the Aloha Beach Resort. But it's a not a short walk to anywhere. And you should read the reviews... they're not kind.

Maybe the Coral Reef would give you a long term rate. But your room would likely be facing the highway at a distance of 150 ft.

$100/night is not going to get you a nice hotel on Kauai sorry to say. Now if you look for a condo and work through an agent doing long term rentals, $3000/month is a pretty decent budget. However tourist accommodations like you describe don't have to settle for long term rates in summer. Sept/Oct/Nov might work better.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,376 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 months on Kauai

Are you planning on renting a car? THAT will make all the difference. If the answer is no, forget the North Shore of Kaua‘i. Here's another problem, $50.00 a day food budget walking distance on the North Shore - no way. You could find a studio condo in Princeville (no beach) within your price range...but nowhere to walk to for food.

Kapa‘a without a car and walking distance for food, yes. Quiet hotel on the beach with on-site exercise room in your price range for the three months (partly HIGH season) - that's going to be tough. Check out Islander on the Beach (condo style rooms) or Kauai Sands Hotel...it was getting pretty dumpy the last few years while for sale, but I understand it's got new owners now.

http://kauaisandshotel.com/

3Chihuahuas

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,393 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 months on Kauai

Your budget is low for what you want. The suggestion for Honolulu is a good one because you don't need a car there. You'd probably find the best air to HNL anyway. You can find a condo for $100/night (+ 13.42% taxes). There is often a 10% discount for stays over 28 nights -- no maid service at those rates, but you'd have a kitchen and washer/dryer. There is a wide choice of restaurants in Honolulu from fast food to deluxe. There is good public bus service; you could even get around Oahu by bus since you would not be pressed for time.