We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
51 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

I read that the south shore has jelly fish today. Can anyone comment or confirm this?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

Usually, that is oahu, but if warnings are posted, stay out of the water.

Very simple also, talk with the lifeguards at poipu beach...the only guarded beach on the south shore.

Do not even think about going into the water, unless it is a swimming pool at your resort or a jacuzzi tub.

You did not mention if they were boxies or potugese man of war.....eitther one stay on shore and do not piick up, walk on, or play with either.

You might also search the web for Kauaiexplorer beach and surf report.

Denny

Edited: 30 April 2013, 20:13
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

It's a bit early for the monthly influx of jellies, and Kaua`i rarely gets them. Where did you read about it?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

No current info, but Portuguese Man O War can blow in anytime. Here's a timetable for box jelly arrivals for Oahu, not too often on Kauai:

beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-jellyfish-stings-201…

808jellyfish calendar is not working, neither is their contact link......

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

I didn't know Portugese Man of War hit the Hawaiian waters. If they're out there you definitely want to avoid them. Stung by one on the west coast of Florida many years ago and wouldn't want to go through that again. Are they frequently in Hawaiian waters?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

The box jellies will hit Oahu this weekend. We have portuguese man o war (not a true jelly fish) year round but mainly on the windward side, they come in on the currents that are wind blown. You can tell if they are there just by walking the beach. If they are on the sand then they are definitely in the water. They aren't half as dangerous as the box jelly fish.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

Yes Napa, they do blow in occasionally. A couple of years ago we were at Anahola on the north side of the river talking to a guy fishing. He'd been stung the day before on his hand and lower arm...I'd never seen one, so he showed me one on the sand...then I noticed more on the sand, actually quite a few. No signs up, but there isn't a lifeguard on that area of beach.

3Chihuahuas

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

Per the Kauai Explorer

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/ocean_report/

as of 10:15 Hawaiian time there were reports of jellyfish on the south shores.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

Only 5 days since the full moon. Wonder why they're early.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,890 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I was in town earlier, so haven't been down to the ocean yet today......I'll be going past the beach park on my way to work though, and will look for any signage or tapes up at the Beach Park.

It would be unusual for us to get them here in the Po'ipu area, they seldom occur here, and when they do occur, it is usually someplace like Salt Pond County Park....at least that is the only place I've personally seen them.

It is early too....weird!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jelly Fish on South Shore Today

After spending several hours at Anahola Beach Park this afternoon, just read this thread and 3chi's post 6 of a past experience. Yikes, I better pay better attention to possible occurrence.