We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

This is our third trip to Kauai, we're hooked! We arrived on Tuesday, April 23rd. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary on April 29th! My husband and I will spend the first four nights and then be joined by our two adult daughters and son in law for a week on the north shore. 

Day 1 - we had a 6 o'clock flight out of okc and the temp was about 45 degrees, so sad to leave that behind - NOT! Despite taking off 45 minutes late in SFO we landed only about 10 minutes late, around noon. Luggage arrived with us, Always a plus! Little bit of a wait for the rental car but not too bad. Headed straight to Mark's in Puhi for loco moco, yum! Then headed down the street for Right Slice pie, lilikoi cheesecake, lime, and chocolate coconut macaroon, all to go. Headed to our rental in Koloa. Met our host, Diane. We really loved this place www.vrbo.com335846 so clean and quiet with a beautiful pool. They provide fresh organic eggs and fruit for breakfast also beautiful flowers. Went to Seaview Terrace at the Grand Hyatt for the torch lighting ceremony and keiki hula dancers. Had a drink and pupus for dinner. We really enjoyed it and the Hyatt is beautiful. Early morning flight plus time difference = 9 o'clock bedtime.

Day 2 - We were awake by 6, had our eggs and fruit for breakfast then headed to Waimea Canyon. It was such a clear day, the views were beautiful! We made many stops and saw all we wanted to see then headed back down. Stopped at Ishihara Market, such a nice little clean market . My husband had crab and shrimp enchiladas, he loved them! I got a roast beef wrap and we shared some seafood salad. I also had to get some Maui onion chips! Took our lunch to Salt Pond Beach and stayed there a few hours. Headed back to our rental for a little pool time. We had reservations at Hukilau Lanai. It was really good and I loved the setting. we had a table outside facing the pool area of KCR, so pretty. We made a stop at Pepalani Gelato on the way back to Koloa. 

Day 3 - Breakfast at the rental again then we had a 10 o'clock reservation for Allerton Gardens. While this was not exactly what I expected.... I loved it! I really thought it would be manicured gardens and the guide pointing out each flower and tree, telling us the names of each species - not at all. I loved all the history and stories of this tour. Allerton was such a visionary! I loved all the water features, trees and flowers! My one word of advice, sit on the driver's side of the shuttle bus on the way over. There is a lot to see and while you can obviously see it on the way back you would miss all the stories and explanations while you're actually seeing it. I highly  recommend  this tour, beautiful and educational! Grabbed a Puka dog for lunch (one of our faves) then more pool time. We had reservations at Beach House for 6:15. I love this place, great service and awesome food. My husband and I both had the arugula and goat cheese salad, fish entrees and bananas foster for dessert. Everything was delicious! We paid to have the photographer take our picture at sunset. She took three pictures, later came by our table and let us choose one and emailed us our choice. The picture turned out really well and so much easier than asking a stranger to take a less than stellar picture. Totally worth the $20! 

Day 4 - Got up early and drove to the end of Poipu Road thru the gate. The road was very bumpy and some BIG puddles but we made it! Hiked the Lithified Cliffs to Ha'ula Beach, so beautiful! Then we hiked the other way to Gillin's Beach and back. I really enjoyed this easy hike (more like a walk). We then went to Lappert's for a coffee drink, killing time waiting for Da Crack to open. Janet had such good things to say about Da Crack we wanted to give it a try. Picked up our food and took it to Poipu Beach. My husband had a fish burrito and I had a beef taco and guacamole, it was all really good! We were not disappointed. Spent a few hours at the beach, saw a monk seal and a turtle - bonus! More pool time. We visited with Diane, our gracious hostess, for awhile. She was baking mango bread and lilikoi bars and was so kind to share with us - oh my goodness, sooo good! That evening we headed to Hanapepe Art Night. Beautiful evening, we strolled thru town and checked out the swinging bridge. We shared a chicken pot pie from Right Slice, if you get a chance, try one! Made a stop at Lappert's on our way back to Koloa to call it a night. We pick the kids up at noon tomorrow! Part 2 to follow soon......Denise

california
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

Sounds amazing! My goal when we visit next month is to see the Keiki hula show on the first night we arrive, too. I hope we can make it up for it. And then the canyon in the am too...:-)

California
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

It sounds like a great time! Your rental in Koloa looks very nice. Have you stayed there before? Is it an easy walk to Old Koloa Town?

NM
Level Contributor
947 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

Enjoyed your report. Ironically my son was in OKC last Thursday judging land for the National FFA contest. It as blowing 40+mph from the north, raining and 30 degrees! That was just on Thursday. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday were all in the 80s and 90s! Be glad you missed it! Aloha!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

Congrats on your 30th anniversary! As parents that travel with adult kids, I love the way you divided the trip into Part 1 and Part 2 at the arrival of the daughters! Traveling with young adults is much different from our laid-back, easy-going travel style as a couple! We cherish the difference and enjoy both.......here's to wishing you the best family time ever. Deb

P.S. And I am perfectly miserable after reading about all your fabulous food choices.......LOL!!!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

Sounds like a great time!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

if you're still there on saturday, go up to the northshore and check out the farmers market in hanalei.... i really liked it when we were there in march.....

http://realkauai.com/FarmersMarkets/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

Sounds so AWESOME!! Question, are the lithified cliffs part of the Mahalepu Trail?

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

@22kauai We had never stayed at this rental before. It's right in the middle of a residential area. It's probably 2-3 miles from Old Koloa Town, about a 5 minute drive.

@islandshell Not at all surprised at the weather your son experienced in OKlahoma. Our weather can be very erratic, especially so this Spring. There's no guarantee it's over yet :-/ There is crazy lightening happening as I post this. Thunder storm with hail headed my way.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

@letsgotohawaiiasap Deb, thank you so much! We had a great time! We love vacationing with our children but we really enjoyed the alone time too :)

@seamlp I was confused about this also. According to UKG there are Lithified Cliffs right near Shipwrecks Beach and there are some further down by Kawailoa Bay, that's where we started.

Michigan Center...
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Part 1 of 2

We have booked 4 nights at this place in February. It was great to hear your review.