We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR day 5

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
TR day 5

We started off the day heading out to hike the second half of the Maha'ulepu Trail from Gillin's Beach. The road had more potholes than the Polihale road! I think the 2nd half of the trail is even nicer than the first half which we hiked the other day. There were only a few people on the trail so at times we had the place all to ourselves. We saw a lifeguard rescue seado come by.

After the hike we headed to the Poipu shopping village for a long awaited Puka dog and lemonade followed by a little pearl shopping by DW. From there we headed into Lihue where Macy’s and a host of other stores beckoned to DW. I dropped her off and headed up to shoot Wailua Falls. The trail down was pretty wet and slippery but I made it down. I spent a couple of hours shooting the falls and was so hot I just had to take a little dip in the pool.

I met a couple down there from Idaho who were enthralled with the falls and really wanted their photo taken so we setup an impromptu photo shoot. The sun obliged by sending down some rays to illuminate the couple at just the right moment and I managed to get a couple of decent shots.

As I was getting ready to leave a Hawaiian guy showed up with a throw net to do some fishing. I had visions of a super cool shot of a native Hawaiian throwing the net against the backdrop of the double water falls. I was downstream in the perfect spot all dialed in and waiting for him to throw the net….and waiting…..and waiting…..and waiting. Just my luck he was the most patient fisherman in the world. I finally had to leave and he still hadn’t thrown the net. My hopes of the perfect shot were dashed against the hard rocks of reality. On my way back up I found the dryer easier trail.

Picking up DW we headed down to Nawiliwili Harbor, an area we had not visited on our previous trip. It was nice down there walking along listening to the live music at Dukes. With tired feet and hungry stomachs we headed back to Poipu for dinner and a drink. One last day in Poipu tomorrow and then it’s on to the North Shore.

More photos added here: http://lornecollicutt.zenfolio.com/p290159039

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR day 5

Great photos! I'm even more excited for my arrival today.

Middletown...
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: TR day 5

Absolutely stunning photos yet again, you really captured Wailua Falls beautifully, your choice of shutter speed, exposure, and composition is superb!

Ha! I forgot about the Marriot "weather station"- I had forgotton about that, brings back memories of our first time on Kauai. We'll be on island tomorrow with my SIL and her husband who are both first-timers. Will have to remember to show them that after we have pupus at Dukes one evening.

California
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR day 5

Beautiful shots of the falls!

Tacoma, WA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: TR day 5

Great Shots!!

Amy

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR day 5

Im really jealous of your picture taking abilities. Great Shots.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR day 5

I didn't know there was a trail down to the bottom of the waterfall. Is it easy to find?

Texas
Level Contributor
841 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR day 5

Still enjoying those pictures. Please keep sharing!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR day 5

Great shots - bright and clear.

Keep the trip reports coming.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR day 5

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"slabeaume"......there are two trails to the bottom of the falls.....neither one is professionally maintained and are considered dangerous.....there are signs posted by the state at each one telling you not to take them.

However it is not illegal to my knowledge.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR day 5

slabeaume: there are actually 2 trails. One trail leads from the very end of the road where you park to the top of the falls. I didn't go on that one so I don't know any details on it. To get to the bottom of the falls from the parking area walk back past the falls viewing area about 30 feet. The trail starts down on your left behind the guard rail. There are 2 ways to get down...the hard, slippery, wet, treacherous way and the drier, easier way. To take the hard way just follow the trail straight down. Use caution because even with as little rain as we have had in the last few days it was wet and muddy and easy to slip. I'd strongly advise taking the easier way down. About 30 feet down the trail after you leave the road, look for a very large tree on the left of the trail with arrows cut into it. Turn left and follow the trail down. Its much drier and has some ropes installed to help you.