We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai

edinburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai

I am about to book to go to Maui, I read that there are Roosters in Kauai and after living in Grand Cayman and getting woken by them at all hours I couldn't cope hearing them again. Am I making a mistake? I'd hate to not go if there are areas where these birds don't inhabit on the island, Kauai seems like it would be more beautiful?

Edited: 13 May 2013, 09:31
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai

There are chickens everywhere on Kauai, but usually not in the resort areas. We've stayed 3 different places and never heard a roster where we were staying. I suspect the resorts do something to control the population in the immediate area.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,120 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai

Is that the only reason you are choosing Maui instead of Kauai? Might be more helpful if you tell us how long you have, what you plan to do, etc. Kauai is a beautiful island - my favorite. I have seldom been woken up by chickens on Kauai but they are island wide. But there are also more tropical birds in Kauai than on the other islands. :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai

We used to stay at the Point at Poipu timeshare resort and I never once heard roosters - as grandpart said, many of the larger resorts use pest-control methods to ensure a rooster-free environment. Read reviews of different properties to see if people mention roosters.

Staying in an air-conditioned unit also means you won't hear them - but you won't hear the waves crashing on shore or the wind rustling through the palm trees, either.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai

We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue and didn't hear them, although they are all over the island. Personally, I enjoyed seeing them.

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kent, WA
Level Contributor
372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai

After our first trip to Kauai in '99. I made 2 lists that I included in my trip report. The first list was things I loved about Kauai and the second was things I disliked most about Kauai.

The roosters made both lists.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai

Thanks for all your replies, I do remember that Roosters weren't in the hotels in Cayman either but it seems there are more in kauai. We have 4/5 nights in total in Hawaii and we both love peace and quiet. The noise of the sea and insects is a restful noise..

Both my husband and I are very much into sightseeing and good food/wine, not just lazing on a beach all day. Although as we have a short stay a bit of beach life is great too, I'd love to see crystal clear waters and white sand like the Caribbean but don't know if we'll find that in Hawaii. We are not into places that are overly touristy but understand there will always be a bit. I just can't decide between Maui and Kauai and I read loads of other people's reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
edinburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai

Forgot to say, yes that is the only reason I am choosing Maui over Kauai! It would ruin my holiday and my husbands. May sound harsh and I know people love the birds but I personally don't. Many sleepless nights and chasing them off all hours of the night put paid to any feelings of love for them.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai

There are roosters and sometimes they wake you up, depending on where you stay. Having said that, I can also say I am passionate about Kauai and go every year. While I enjoy Maui and go every few years in February for the whales, I find it much busier and more 'touristy". I'm sure you will enjoy either but it would be unfortunate to avoid the beautiful garden isle of Kauai just because of roosters.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,012 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai

Maui and Kaua`i are apples and oranges. There are more chickens on Kaua`i. You''re not going to be wading through swarms of them. Maui is, in general, more touristy and built up than Kaua`i. Maui probably has a better choice of restaurants, although Kaua`i does have some good ones. Kaua`i is very laid-back and rural and is usually less crowded than Maui. Kaua`i is known for its scenery. You're not going to find white sand and crystal clear water on any island in Hawai`i.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai

If you're that concerned, just do Maui. It's awfully nice there too.

Roosters can be a real pain. Too bad they have pretty feathers or maybe we're lucky rats don't have them too.

The big resorts do trap and remove them I suspect. If you're staying in one of the big hotels, it's more likely other people will disturb you, but if you are doing a house/cottage situation, you could well have a chicken problem.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii