We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a plane?

NM
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Topic
Rent a plane?

Are there any pilots on the forum that have rented a plane on Kauai? My son is a private pilot and my husband is student pilot. We arrive on Kauai in 3 1/2 weeks. I actually thought it would be cool to do a power glider lesson but would really like to rent a GA-8 airvan with a CFI. Please share if you have info regarding CFI's and aircraft rentals. Thanks!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a plane?

Call Wings Over Kauai and they may be able to direct you to place for rental or give you other advise.

http://www.wingsoverkauai.com/

No idea on your flight experience but conditions here may be much different than what your use to flying in (mountains, ocean etc) Maybe rather than on your own, a flight with Wings Over Kauai as passenger is better idea.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 19:45
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a plane?

If you're unfamiliar with the geography of the island and the quickly changing weather conditions given the play between the ocean and mountains, I'd recommend going up with an island pro. Eventhe pros have found themselves in difficult situations with little to no warning.

This is when we need Denny here, to explain it all in technical terms.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a plane?

I believe the owner of WOK is a licensed instructor, and your guys could fly as students. CT's right about conditions being unique here.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a plane?

As PZP mentions, Wings Over Kauai has a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI). Looks like cost would be $220 per hour. Maybe not type of plane you want.

www.wingsoverkauai.com/flight-school.php

Modesto CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a plane?

They use a 172. I have rented in Maui and flown between islands and all over, without an instructor on board. I wanted to fly on Kauai, but it is $220/hr with an instructor and I don't think they rent out their planes without their pilot on board. I have spoken to them and they said you are looking at about 1:10 to take a tour around the whole island.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,875 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a plane?

<<Are there any pilots on the forum that have rented a plane on Kauai? My son is a private pilot and my husband is student pilot.>>

Nope! My husband is a pilot, we own a Cessa 210 and have looked into this many times. We were successful on Maui when we rented a Cessna 172 and it was great fun. He has over 2000 hours and had to show his log book and do a check out ride. But we have never found anyone on Kauai that rents small airplanes but the iidea of taking a class with WOK might be your best bet.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 03:34
NM
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a plane?

Thanks everyone! Yes we are aware of the challenges of flying in Hawaii that is why I said I would like to rent with a CFI (certified flight instructor). And wow $220 is pretty steep but we paid $165 here before we bought a 172 so really not that much more for the scenery you get I guess. The only thing is there is 4 of us and a 172 won't be big enough for all of us with an instructor unless they have the child jump seat in the back. :( My 19yr old son is not going or I would have complete confidence in him renting without a CFI. He has been flying a couple years and is getting close to a commercial license.

NM
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a plane?

-Just looked at the link and it says you can take ONE person along...bummer!

9. Re: Rent a plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 05:19