We just returned from Kaua’i (our first trip ever to Hawai’i), and I just wanted to express a big, heartfelt MAHALO to all of you.
I swear that I had intended to write a trip report each day but we had so much fun and were out-and-about so much that I rarely touched my computer.
With the help of tripadvisor reviews, and the fantastic community here on the Forums, our trip included …
- Stays at the Kauai Beach Resort, the Pali Ke Kua condos and the Grand Hyatt (long story short, we “had” to go to Hilo the day after we arrived, then come back to Princeville, then we extended our stay and so decided to go south).
- Napali Catamaran for an unforgettable trip up the coast
- Hideaway and Tunnels beaches and snorkeling
- the Kilauea Lighthouse (the cute, baby shearwaters!)
- the Kilauea Bakery (the coconut cream éclair!)
- Pono Market (NOM the poke!) in Kapa’a
- Hee Fat General Store (‘rainbow’ on mac-nut with coco cream!) in Kapa’a
- Sweet Pia’s (thank you, Janet / koloagirl!! The li hing mui ginger is soooo good. Did you know they’re closing at month end?)
- Koloa Fish Market (more poke!)
- Sueoka’s (more NOM!)
- Waimea Canyon and the lookouts at the top of Koke’e State Park (Pu'u o Kila!)
- Jo-Jo’s Anuenue (more shave ice – a #3 and a #4!)
- Kauai Island Brewery (the Kalo (taro) was odd to us, and the lines could have been skunky, but we liked the Wai’ale’ale Ale)
… and all in the six days after we came back from Hilo. Can you believe we didn’t rush? I swear it was all easy-going and mellow, with plenty of sun and reading time. (No beaches during the time we had in Po’ipu, though – we kept getting stuck by the Hyatt pool ;) )
We also learned some very important words: honu, nene, moli and ‘iwa, ‘apapane and ‘amakihi ;) (We also learned about coqui in Hilo, but what can you do?)
The weather was perfect, everything was an adventure in experiencing new things, and we are so grateful for the time we had on the island. It was a gift that we shall treasure.
Thank you all, for the learnings you have shared, and for the huge list of things we still want to do … NEXT time!