We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day One and a Half!

Omaha
Level Contributor
87 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day One and a Half!

Since reading Trip Reports is my favorite thing to do on Trip Advisor as I prepare for my next trip, I thought I'd return the favor for all of you who enjoy reading them as well.

Left Omaha at 5:40 AM on Friday, enjoyed? a three and a half layover in Phoenix (US Air) and arrived in Lihue at 1:55 PM, five minutes early. Got to wait twenty-five minutes for our luggage, but hey we are now on island time, and both bags arrived just as we hoped. Walked over to the shuttle for Avis, got our rental car ... a Ford Taurus ... and headed to the Marriott Courtyard in Kapaa. We sat through a time share presentation last year at the Kauai Coast Resort at the Beach Boy and part of the incentive was a $100 gift certificate at the Hukilau Lanai and three nights at the Courtyard which we are using for Friday and Saturday night.

Checked in at the Courtyard at 3:45 PM, and headed to our room. We upgraded to a premium ocean view when we made our reservation and am I looking at the surf as I write. After getting semi unpacked, we headed to happy hour which started at 4PM at the Makai Lounge at the hotel. I had a draft beer and my wife a Mai Tai and we had an early light meal there (a five hour time difference from Omaha) ... Caesar salad and pulled pork appetizers for our dinner. The Caesar was OK, the pulled pork outstanding. From there we headed to Long's Drugs, got our guava nector and other minor supplies and headed back to the room. We were both sawing logs by 8 that night after a long day of traveling.

Awoke at 4:30 AM read a bit, waited for the sunrise and went for a walk. Hit Starbucks across the street for mocha light frappacinos and had a leasurely walk back to the Courtyard. Hit the pool from 8:30 to 11:30 and then showered and went to Kauai Pasta in Kapaa. Shared a caprese salad and their breaded/parmesan crusted mozzarella. Both dishes were fabulous. We have to head back for dinner sometime. From there we went shopping. I had lost 10 pounds before the trip and my shorts were difficult to keep up, so headed to Macy's got a new pair of shorts, two Bamboo Cay shirts and the DW a cover-up, hat and a new bathing suit. We also purchased four large red wine glasses. DW is somewhat of a wine snob when it comes to wine glasses and the KCR at the Beachboy only has small wine glasses. With a little time on our hands we headed to JJ's Broiler for adult libations and a mid-afternoon snack. We enjoyed a great view of Kalapaki Beach while we ate. The onion rings, while not very healthy, hit the spot. Headed back to the Courtyard.

Later this evening we head to a slack key concert that we found out about here on Trip Advisor and then somewhere for dinner. Tomorrow we pick up my dear SIL and BIL, from Sacramento, and we will spend the next eight days with them. Both lived in Hawaii for a few years when he worked for Matson Shipping. I was born in Hilo on the big island, so being here is is like returning home for all of us. More to come.

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy
Kauai Coast Resort at...
764 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hukilau Lanai
Hukilau Lanai
2,626 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai Pasta Lihue
Kauai Pasta Lihue
818 Reviews
Kauai, HI
JJ's Broiler
JJ's Broiler
994 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalapaki Beach
Kalapaki Beach
763 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day One and a Half!

Great first day, nice report. I love Kauai Pasta and I do recommend it for one of your dinners.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai Pasta Lihue
Kauai Pasta Lihue
818 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day One and a Half!

What a great start to your trip...keep enjoying!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day One and a Half!

Slack key concert sounds good. My 5 year old talked me into going to see this local boy band at BackYards in Kapaa Just heading out the door...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-XLei2RUjY

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day One and a Half!

Hope the slack key was better...

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day One and a Half!

Glad to hear you are back "home"...and you're right - TR's are always good reading. Yours is no exception!..it can get harder (or it did for me) as time passes and you get into your holiday. I hope we hear more from you, but don't sweat it if we don't....and tell your DW I love the wine glass thing. It DOES make a difference!

Aloha!

Edited: 19 May 2013, 07:34
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,323 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day One and a Half!

OCDC was one of the winners of Kauai's Got Talent. They already have their own little tween age groupies. But anyhow Bruinboy, thanks for your report. Looking forward to more. Are you from Boston?

7. Re: Trip Report Day One and a Half!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 06:17