We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Food

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Food

Looking for traditional Hawaiian food on Kauai. Any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
9,563 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Food

tripadvisor.com/…37876208

Here's something to get you started.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Food

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is really no restaurant here any longer that serves only "traditional" Hawaiian food......however many of these items can be found all around.

Poi: Hanalei Poi is found in the refrigerated section of many markets, and Lehua Poi (West Side) is found in bags (which is traditional) usually up by the check out area or the deli.

Laulau.....You can generally find this at fish markets such as Fish Express in Lihu'e, Koloa Fish Market in Old Koloa town..

Kalua Pig.....found in "Hawaiian Plates" at most deli's here on island. Even Costco has it!

Lomi Salmon....Again, to be found at fish markets on isand.

Opihi....Very expensive to buy, but Fish Express in Lihu'e usually has it.

These are some "traditional" truly Hawaiian foods.....however you can get "Hawaiian plates" at many deli's here that will have some of the above items, along with things like chicken long rice, potato/mac salad and rice...none of which is "traditional Hawaiian".

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Food

If you are staying south or traveling to the Canyon, you might enjoy Da Imu Hut in Hanapepe. It is right on the highway. My favorite is their Kalua Pig, but laulau lovers really go for their chicken laulau. It is good solid food locals love to eat. Take out from there to take down to Salt Ponds Beach (just west) at sunset makes for a VERY sweet Hawaiian experience!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Food

Don't miss having poke (PO-kay), chunks of raw salmon that can be mixed with a variety of flavors. You can find this at fish markets, many local groceries, even Costco.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Food

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Oh yes, shoots, how could I forget poke.....yummm!!!

Also I guess I'd add dessert things such as kulolo, which is made primarily from kalo (taro) and coconut meat and/or milk.......very tasty indeed!

Haupia.....coconut based dessert, kind of like coconut jello (except far more yummo than that would sound!).

Kulolo isn't that easy to find, but usually you can get it at Sueoka Store in Old Koloa Town, and Kukui'ula Market, which is on Po'ipu Rd. across from the Fire Station.....just depends on what days it is delivered as to when they have it.

Haupia is easier to find....Koloa Fish Market has it, and I believe Fish Express in Lihu'e does as well.

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Food

Interesting read on the Cuisine of Hawai‘i including a history of foods. Not for the squeamish though, lol.....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Hawaii

3Chihuahuas

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Food

Costco, Safeway & Times Supermarket.

You can get lau lau, lomi lomi, Kalua pig, poi, which are "traditional" foods at the supermarkets and then the blending of culture foods that are "local" food now; poke (Hawaiian/Japanese mash up), manapua (Hawaiian/Chinese), saimin (Hawaiian/Japanese), malasadas (Hawaiian/Portuguese), and other dishes that the Koreans, Thais, Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese brought as they immigrated to Hawaii.

Wikipedia does a pretty good job of explaining it all.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Hawaii

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Food

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I was afraid there wasn't any restaurants still open serving traditional Hawaiian food anymore, I've looked. I grew up in Hawaii and my wife & are visiting Honolulu & Kauai soon. I love pork lau lau & poi & twice a year we ship some to us from Youngs Fish market in Honolulu. Not cheap, but worth it to us. I guess we will have to get our lau lau & poi fix while in Honolulu at Ono Hawaiian Food. While traveling around Kauai, I'll look for a fish market for take out.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Food

Would they have pork lau lau too?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Food

Da Imu Hut does - pork laulau, I meand. Their chicken is just more popular.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 17:13