We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3o days nov. dec.

Manning, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
3o days nov. dec.

Planning a 30 day trip in nov. to dec. can my wife and i eat on 75 a day. We will either eat a large lunch or an early dinner. Staying in popular area. Plan to use markets and Costco for fruits and other foods when we choose to cook in. Also will fresh fruit be available this time of year. Thanks for your help

Texas
Level Contributor
821 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

Yes, easily you can eat on $75 a day, no problem. My husband and I spent a month on Kauai and Maui at Christmas/NY and are here in Kailua-Kona now for 3 weeks, no problems. You need to find the local places to eat, not the fancy restaurants, cook in breakfast, and we have usually had large enough portions at say dinner to bring part of the meal home to use for another meal, add a salad, etc. Costco is a huge help; they have great rotisserie chickens, etc. Things get busy starting around Dec. 17 or so, including Costco especially. Don't know your exact dates.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,086 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

Absolutely you can. Just don't eat like the typical tourist dining out at restaurants every day. I'm sure local couples are able to do it on less than $75 a day . So if you have your own kitchen facilities, no problem.

California
Level Contributor
39,433 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

Kauai has so many cheap eats. They also have good happy hours. Kauai also has way too many food trucks. Some are good and cheap and some are not. As long as you don't go to the St Regis, Tidepools, Beach House places, you will be just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
2,971 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Tidepools
Tidepools
1,975 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

We live here and certainly don't spend $75 for food per day. Costco is your friend as is the Thursday senior day at Foodland. Get your Makai card from them and buy what you want that is on sale get $.05 off for your bag and 5% off for being a senior. Safeway also has a card. Remember plastic bags are illegal and Walmart for example, has no other bags. There are lots of fairly inexpensive dine out places also. Where are you staying?

Manning, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

We are staying in a condo in poipu area. This is our retirement trip. We will have family coming over in shifts during our stay. We will be there from mid nov to mid dec. any problem with beach days at this time of year

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

Problem with beach days? The South Shore generally has good weather at that time of year but I have been there when it's rainy. Just depends.

Manning, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

Thank you for your replies. We appreciate your help

8. Re: 3o days nov. dec.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17